Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Accepted at U Washington  (Read 56974 times)

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: Accepted at U Washington
« Reply #1380 on: April 18, 2005, 02:36:56 PM »
Hey inthesun--Thanks for your input. I am actually leaning in the direction of UW for the time being. It is just starting to make more sense on all levels. I hope that a few more people decline the offer so that you and Giffy can get off the waitlist. It would be great to be classmates with you guys next year.  :)

Thanks  ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would love to do national politics, but not sure if I could break in. I am planning on doing Real Estate law and using it to help build a good investment portfolio so I can afford to run for office. Sort of like Rossi did, although I completly disagree with him politically. Ideally I would like to be attorny general for a bit and then governer, but I am not sure if it will work out. I would be happy just doing law if thats what fate holds for me. I don't realy paln ot start running for anything for at least 5-10 years after I graduate.

I guess with a local school you can meet people in politics, volunteer on campaigns, etc. These connections can be invaluable when it comes time to do your own campaign. 

GoHuskies05

« Reply #1381 on: April 18, 2005, 05:13:13 PM »
Kristy,

I think if you visited NU, you may change your mind.  NU is a spectacular school, and I am one of the biggest U-dub trolls around.  NU will open up clerkships on the federal level, which is a great starting point for getting into politics later on.  U-dub will not open up the same opportunities.

Firm work in Seattle will of course favor University of Washington graduates, but I highly doubt that a U-dub graduate will get a job over a NU graduate at any of the big Seattle frims (Perkins, Foster, etc.), but you hinted you didn't want these jobs anyway. 

Public Interest is even more of a prestige game than firm jobs, and again, I think an NU grad will have an advantage even in Seattle.  There are definitely more U-dub grads in Seattle, but that must be overwhelmingly due to self-selection from both schools.

At NU will are almost guaranteed a firm job after your 2nd year, which will help to reduce your debt.  You don't have to take this firm job, but you can take the $2400 they pay you a week. 

Finally, and most important (in my book), is the education.  Granted NU gains and loses faculty members at a high rate, they will still have on average a higher caliber of teacher/scholar.  Your fellow students will comprise a stronger student body, which will in turn push you to your limits. 

In summary, I think the second you step foot in NU's law building you will be blown away. 

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: April 18, 2005, 07:29:30 PM »
kristy, seems like you can rationalize going to either school, pending on the criteria (and who's setting forth the criteria- i concede to my UW bias :)) 

my cousin chose uw over columbia, and he just got promoted at a top ip law firm in seattle (after working there less than a year), and he wasn't even the top of his class- things worked out for him great, no debt, etc- he also recently told me that his firm chose to hire a person from an unranked PNW regional school over applicants from top 20 schools, bc they knew he would stay local and he interviewed well- that said, it's probably not representative, but local or national school, you can do well at both levels :)

at least rest assured that no matter which one you choose, you'll be in great shape (so long as you study in law school, which i'm sure you will)

it probably would really help though if you could visit northwestern and see for yourself (a former roomie of mine had only good things to say about the school when she visited for the admit students week)

KristyB

« Reply #1383 on: April 18, 2005, 07:45:50 PM »
Unfortunately, visiting isn't an option for me.  I am not going to be back in the states until July.  I suppose I could turn in my seat deposit and go visit then and make my decision but I'd rather know where I'm going before then.  I keep getting information that could sway me in either direction.  I think, ultimately, it depends on where I'll be happiest.  I know I like Chicago but I'm not sure if I'll like it for three years.  I get stir crazy in the city without having an escape to the countryside. 

Nika--so you decided not to go to Seattle U?  What made you decide on that?  Sorry if you've already said that in this thread.  I haven't read through all of it. 

gohuskies-I am assuming you visited Northwestern?  What was it particularly that you liked about it?  Feeling from the students/professors, overall quality of the facilities/area, etc?

GoHuskies05

« Reply #1384 on: April 19, 2005, 11:21:19 AM »
Unfortunately, visiting isn't an option for me.  I am not going to be back in the states until July.  I suppose I could turn in my seat deposit and go visit then and make my decision but I'd rather know where I'm going before then.  I keep getting information that could sway me in either direction.  I think, ultimately, it depends on where I'll be happiest.  I know I like Chicago but I'm not sure if I'll like it for three years.  I get stir crazy in the city without having an escape to the countryside. 

Nika--so you decided not to go to Seattle U?  What made you decide on that?  Sorry if you've already said that in this thread.  I haven't read through all of it. 

gohuskies-I am assuming you visited Northwestern?  What was it particularly that you liked about it?  Feeling from the students/professors, overall quality of the facilities/area, etc?

Kristy,

First off NU's location is unbelievable, and I think the Law School building is the coolest one I've seen.  The facilities are very nice inside as well.  I'm a big fan of Chicago.  Seattle is undoubtedly the greatest city in America, but Chicago is a lot more fun if you're young.  Although later on, I will definitely be back in Seattle, I think living in possibly the second greatest city isn't a bad thing while in grad school.  Chicago simply has more to offer in the way of nightlife, restaurants, museums, attractions, etc. 

The students I met were very friendly, and also very sharp.  Obviously the students are smart at U-dub as well, but I just don't believe overall you will find the same caliber. 

The faculty is very impressive, and I like their placement in top Federal Clerkship positions.  Justice Stevens, I believe, usually hires at least one clerk from NU each year.

Regarding what Nika said, I think if you go into IP it changes everything, but I didn't think this was a possibility for Kristy.  It's my opinion that NU will provide more opportunities everywhere, including Seattle and the West Coast.  What if you want to work on the 9th Circuit?  You can rule this out coming from U-dub, but it is a definite possiblity from NU.  That is one example of a door which is opened at NU that would be completely shut if you attend the U. 

Take a look at this data (minus 2004, as it's obviously incomplete).  It's honestly ridiculous how well NU places into Federal Clerkship positions.  U-dub had 3 federal Clerks last year. 

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/career/clerkships/documents/data_year.pdf

compare to

http://www.law.washington.edu/Career/Profiles.html

These schools are not even close in my view. 

Anyway, best of luck. 

KristyB

« Reply #1385 on: May 14, 2005, 09:52:52 AM »
Are there any updates here?  Who is definitely attending UW? 

ace888

• View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 16, 2005, 04:34:55 PM »
I'll be there. Have you decided yet Kristy?

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: May 16, 2005, 06:24:03 PM »
I'm still hoping toget off the WL

ace888

• View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 16, 2005, 06:35:39 PM »
Giffy, I'm surprised you got waitlisted at UW. Good luck the rest of the way. Seattle U is an excellent back-up to have. A buddy of mine just graduated from there on Saturday and has a nice firm job lined up (paying $100K, I might add). I think he graduated in the top 1/3 or so, and he had nothing but good things to say about the school.

KristyB

« Reply #1389 on: May 17, 2005, 10:39:27 AM »
Hey guys,

Yeah, I'm most likely going to go.  I say that because Columbia has put me on "reserve" which basically means that they don't want to decide yet.  I'm expecting a ding come June, however. Have you sent in your deposit Ace?  I still have to do that!  Giffy, I'm still pulling for you.  I hope that they take you off the waitlist, but, if they don't, I'm sure you already know that Seattle U is awesome.  Just think, we are going to be law students next year! (Can you tell I'm really excited to be back in school? It's been 4 years.)