Law School Discussion

Accepted at U Washington

KristyB

Re: Accepted at U Washington
« Reply #1360 on: April 01, 2005, 05:17:30 AM »
Sorry Tuffdog, I am surprised you didn't get in but you have some good schools to choose from.  Lewis and Clark shot up to number one in Environmental Law this year (I know I shouldn't pay attention to that stuff but it's nice to know).  If that is your interest then you are set. 

Ace- You'll have to tell me how the weekend at NU goes.  I have been to Chicago and actually like the city a lot but have never visited NU's law school.  That is another thing that makes me hesitant about going.  Are you going to be able to see what the classes/students are like?  What are your numbers? 

Prondippe-I got the same feel from UW.  I was really impressed with how approachable the professors were and they were amazingly helpful too.  I am interested in their Tribal Law clinic and the professor that is involved with it seemed to be really connected for that discipline.  I also was surprised at how comfortable the students were speaking in class and they knew their stuff too. 

Argh-decisions!

ant

« Reply #1361 on: April 01, 2005, 07:00:42 AM »
Kristy,

congrats on northwestern (i realize it's probably not new, but i didn't realize you were in there.)  that is definitely a tough decision, northwestern is a freaking killer school. have you gotten your financial aid info. from then yet? if you end up out of state at UW, the difference might not end up being that big. like someone said above, the job situation seems like it can be a little hairy from UW if you're not at the top part of the class. this decision is freaking killing me. are any of you guys going to that 9th circuit appeals court event thing at UW on wednesday?

tuffdog: sorry to hear about the rejections; lewis & clark is a sweet option still though, esp. if enviro. is your gig.

KristyB

« Reply #1362 on: April 01, 2005, 07:28:32 AM »
Ant-Thanks for the congrats, the acceptance came as a surprise.  Yeah, I got the financial aid info and it is going to cost me about $60K per year.  I'm not too psyched about spending that much money.  I would be willing for NYU or Columbia, don't get me wrong, but I'm just not sure about Northwestern.  Would I be a fool for not going there?  UW out of state would still only be about $35K a year.  It is a great deal less expensive than NU. I do have big aspirations for my career but am definitely not in it for the money so I could end up with big debt and no way to pay it all off in a decent amount of time. 

I can't go to the 9th circuit thing but I would love to hear about it if anyone goes.  Are you going Ant? 

« Reply #1363 on: April 04, 2005, 10:11:44 AM »
Kristy,

I got back from the Northwestern Admitted Students weekend yesterday. The school was pretty impressive and I really enjoyed Chicago. It definitely did nothing to help make up my mind though. I received no financial aid from NU (which means graduating with at least $150K in debt) and will have in-state at UW. The tuition difference alone is approx. $20K per year, which is hard for me to ignore.

Anyway, I feel the exact same way as you. I love NYC and would go to NYU or Columbia at the drop of a hat. However, I'm having a really hard time justifying all that debt for Northwestern. It's a wonderful school, and everyone keeps telling me to "Go to the best school you get into," but it just doesn't seem that simple to me considering that UW is a great school itself.

I think I really just need to talk to some current UW students to get their impressions of the school.

KristyB

« Reply #1364 on: April 04, 2005, 05:15:39 PM »
Ace,

More difficult decisions...I discovered that NU has a loan forgiveness program if you go into public interest that will pay off your loans at a maximum of $12,000 a year over 10 years(depending how long you work in public interest).  

But Washington is so beautiful and Illinois is not.  The city of Chicago is nice but I am an outdoor girl and like to have my fun outside.  I am wondering, however, if I will even have time for much of this in law school and have forgotten how inhibiting the Seattle rain can be (I've been away for 3 years).  I am worried that the rain will get depressing like it was before I left. 

I have been told that at UW you have to be in the top half of your class to get a decent job.  I am planning on working really hard but I've heard law school grades are a crapshoot and many people that work really hard still get poor grades. 

However, an attorney working in Seattle said that UW will open more doors locally than NU will (which I already suspected but he confirmed). 

ant

« Reply #1365 on: April 05, 2005, 07:00:01 AM »
You guys have a seriously difficult decision. I was stressed about my decision of cornell vs. UW; but northwestern vs. uw is that much more difficult.

the crux of the issue seems to come down to the spectacular, national career prospects out of a t14 school vs. the low tuition, sweet location and proximity to desired job market of UW (at least for Kristy and I, it sounds like. Ace, not sure if you wanna work in seattle).

i've talked/emailed a few friends/acquaintances i know going to UW law (mostly 3L's). they've all been positive, but not overwhelmingly positive. they've confirmed that the local contacts of UW are probably of more value than the prestige of (in my case) cornell. However, one of the guys said if i thought i might wanna do biglaw, then cornell's probably the way to go (this is probably true of NU as well). they also confirmed that, unlike a t14 school, sweet job opportunities aren't just kicking around for everyone (ie-you for sure wanna be in the top half of the class). for example, when i visited cornell, every student i talked to basically said that through their on campus interview program, every student that wants a biglaw 2l summer and permanent job gets one. on the other hand, a friend told me that at UW OCI isn't necessarily a huge deal, lots of people don't get jobs through it and have to go looking on their own. The constant theme from the people I spoke w/ is that the career services at uw are really really poor. two guys i talked to were very adamant on this point and really didn't have enough bad stuff to say about the UW career services. This is the biggest point that has me discouraged about uw, despite the fact that i really want to go there. on the other hand, like kristy said, every seattle area lawyer i've talked to gushes about UW, and doesn't get too excited about other law schools until you get up to harvard, yale etc. so i don't know. on the grades front, the guys i talked to said there's either a b or b+ (i can't remember which) curve, so there isn't much competition as you're almost guaranteed the curve grade. they did say though that trying to distinguish yourself and excel is almost a total crapshoot, some bright people do poorly and vice versa; but they both said definitely don't count on outperforming your peers (especially if this thread is representative and the whole class is made up of people that chose UW despite being accepted at t14 schools :))

anyway, sorry for the long post, but those are some of my thoughts. in my  mind, since i don't know exactly what i want to do, it comes down to options. if i go to cornell, i feel like i'll only have one option: take the highest paying job i can get. if i go to UW, i might end up missing some sweet opportunities, but i'll be able to do something i really want 'cause i won't have to worry about debt.

cheers

KristyB

« Reply #1366 on: April 05, 2005, 08:34:13 AM »
This is the kind of information I need.  I also spoke with someone at UW who said even getting a summer job was a lot of work and it didn't sound like career services made it much easier.  So, Ant, where are you leaning towards now?  Is it still totally up in the air? 

Lordo

« Reply #1367 on: April 05, 2005, 09:38:31 AM »
Not that I have anything to do with this conversation, but here's what I think anyway:

A national school will get you further, in the end, than UW. In terms of clerkships, national recruiting, and being able to choose where you work, a national school cannot be beat for these things. If you do outstanding at NU, you could potentially have a shot at a Supreme Court clerkship. Outstanding work at UW will get you some good work, and probably a good clerkship, but just not at the same level. If you want to teach someday, maybe, then the school is incredibly important. Just go look at the faculty of any law school and you'll see. Also any federal government lawyer job with the justice department is apparently pretty competitive--lots of applicants from top schools. The lawyers that are there tend to come from top schools, so they tend to pick from top schools. It goes on and on like that, pretty much.

For a national school, I think tuition should be put in perspective. You pay more, but damn look at what you get for the rest of your life. It'll be paid off. In the end, it won't be what you look back on. UW may make it easier to get that first job in Seattle, but that shouldn't be the whole basis for attending a school. If you ignore tuition as a factor, and then think about the problem, maybe it'll make it easier.

I say: Go national.

KristyB

« Reply #1368 on: April 05, 2005, 04:56:13 PM »
Thanks for the input Lordo.  It helps to hear that perspective.  I am feeling the same way, that my options will be greater if I attend NU.  Really the only thing holding me back is the fact that I was looking forward to being around my family and friends again.  It would be so much easier to move to Seattle than Chicago and I wouldn't have to feel guilty that I wasn't seeing my grandparents much in their ailing years.  That isn't a very good reason not to go to Chicago, though.

Lordo

« Reply #1369 on: April 13, 2005, 01:31:13 PM »
Washington needs another public law school. Washington is, I believe, the only state in the country where the public law school is super-competitive, but where there is not a less competitive public alternative in the same state. That blows hard chunkage.