Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is it too late to apply now?  (Read 619 times)

moosemeatpie

• View Profile
is it too late to apply now?
« on: January 31, 2005, 07:06:13 AM »
have a 3.15 and a 165 LSAT avg (167 was my higher number) from a pretty good UG school (although the plus factor on that seems to be not too much) dbl majoring in english and government (again, choice of majors, or the fact that i'm a double major, don't seem to help)

anyways, so honestly, i've been real lazy and completely dropped the ball. already applied to a few places, but wanted to apply to more.
but is it really too late to apply to anywhere "in my range" and "above my range"?
given that i also want to go into corporate law (money's one thing, but i really did enjoy whatever bit of it i encountered during my internship/slave labor) or other form of international law, i probably will not be looking to go to a school outside the top 30 (except for fordham maybe) unless i really have no choice. don't seem to be stuck up and elitist (given my GPA, i don't have the luxury to be elitist), but i've heard from people (people being lawyers in the lawfirm) that if i want to do what i want to do, it would be a waste of time and money going to a school outside the top 20, and i'm just pushing the number out to 30 to feel a little better about myself. and i figured schools like BC, BU, fordham would not be a waste of time either.
I've so far applied to Washington U, Case Western (it was free and i wanted to feel good abt myself come april), Washington and Lee, Notre Dame (don't fit my description but i like the school), BC, Fordham, and Duke (waste of $70, i feel).

given that, returning to the gist of my question, is it too late to apply? since my numbers were strugglin anyways, will the lateness even make it worth the time + effort + money?
also, whether for this cycle or next, what other schools do you think i should look at? looking at chiashu numbers, what probability numbers should i be looking for? i was thinking i could have hope in schools that list me between 25-50....

anyways, thanks, always, for the help.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
Re: is it too late to apply now?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 10:57:54 AM »
you might have a shot at Cornell if you apply early enough next round.
what is it you want to do exactly?

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 11:51:29 AM »
Honestly, I don't see top 30 happening, probably lower tier 1 better- It's the GPA that is not going to get you in at this late point in the cycle.

maricutie

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 01:38:07 PM »
Unless it's to another safety, I wouldn't even bother with this cycle. You'll be putting yourself at too much of a disadvantgae. 

sport

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 02:02:04 PM »
I beg to differ.  There's a reason why law schools have different deadlines.  If the app.'s due tomorrow, reconsider.  Do you really want to go there, and are your numbers strong for that school?  b/c it will likely be at the bottom of the stack.

If the deadline's something like April 1st, go ahead and do it if you're going to do it soon.

Chitown Man

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 02:10:19 PM »
like sport said, it's not too late to apply unless the deadline is tomorrow.  even then, they have a deadline for a reason.  many other people submit their app on or near the deadline.  your disadvantage will vary by school, but you'll never know if you don't try.  if you really like a certain school, or you want another safety/target, or the deadline isn't until march or april, then def. apply.

critic

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 02:22:44 PM »
I just sent my stanford app out, lol. (deadline Feb 1st) So I obviouusly say go for it; the schools often say their deadlines are flexible.

I read in Montauk's book that some top law schools get the majority of their apps in the last two weeks. So im not worried.

Definitely apply to more places, even if the dealine is tomorrow, i would say, if you really want fall 2005.

btw, for the schools I applied to (albeit all these were before december) I got in to every one that chiashu gave me an above 30% possibility.

good luck!

critic

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 02:58:47 PM »
I think the fact that you're an Asian female from a good school helps boost those chiashu probabilities :)

maybe, but I don't believe Asians are considered to be URMs. it could have helped, but I should add that I have no WE or ECs, or anything that truly makes me standout from other recent university graduates.

my point is that I'm not really an exceptional candidate on paper for any special reason. I honestly think chiashu severely underrates your chances.

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 03:35:20 PM »
have a 3.15 and a 165 LSAT avg (167 was my higher number) from a pretty good UG school (although the plus factor on that seems to be not too much) dbl majoring in english and government (again, choice of majors, or the fact that i'm a double major, don't seem to help)

anyways, so honestly, i've been real lazy and completely dropped the ball. already applied to a few places, but wanted to apply to more.
but is it really too late to apply to anywhere "in my range" and "above my range"?
given that i also want to go into corporate law (money's one thing, but i really did enjoy whatever bit of it i encountered during my internship/slave labor) or other form of international law, i probably will not be looking to go to a school outside the top 30 (except for fordham maybe) unless i really have no choice. don't seem to be stuck up and elitist (given my GPA, i don't have the luxury to be elitist), but i've heard from people (people being lawyers in the lawfirm) that if i want to do what i want to do, it would be a waste of time and money going to a school outside the top 20, and i'm just pushing the number out to 30 to feel a little better about myself. and i figured schools like BC, BU, fordham would not be a waste of time either.
I've so far applied to Washington U, Case Western (it was free and i wanted to feel good abt myself come april), Washington and Lee, Notre Dame (don't fit my description but i like the school), BC, Fordham, and Duke (waste of $70, i feel).

given that, returning to the gist of my question, is it too late to apply? since my numbers were strugglin anyways, will the lateness even make it worth the time + effort + money?
also, whether for this cycle or next, what other schools do you think i should look at? looking at chiashu numbers, what probability numbers should i be looking for? i was thinking i could have hope in schools that list me between 25-50....

anyways, thanks, always, for the help.

It's not too late for most 3rd or 4th Tier schools, and may be some 2nd tier schools--they would love to have your #s, and they might even give you loads of $$$.  If you're not concerned about the prestige top 50 or even top 80 schools, I say go for it.  But I seriously doubt they'll look at your app seriously at this point.  Most law schools begin looking, based on your application complete date.  So, let's say you apply now for, I don't know, NYU or Cornell or a 2nd tier school...They've already made a lot of their decisions already and have a lot of others to look at before looking at yours because most people applied Nov - January.  The liklihood of you getting in is not great.  However, lower tier schools are always looking to boost their rankings with accepting people with competetive #s, even after they've filled most of their seats.

I knew someone with a 179 and a 3.8 (i think it was) who applied to all the top 5 LS in January and only got into Northwestern.  If she applied earlier in the cycle, she probably would have gotten into all them.

Don't fret, but realize that you're now competing with a space factor and how many other people with competitive #s who also applied late.

Good luck & remember, look at all the schools' deadline dates.  Perhaps getting into a 3rd tier with lots of money, you can transfer next year???  Just a thought.

Perversely yours,