Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Deleted  (Read 1351 times)

unicorngt1983

• View Profile
Deleted
« on: January 31, 2005, 01:25:33 AM »
Deleted

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Re: First Rejection
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2005, 01:29:16 AM »
Sorry, thats quite lame. There loss most likely.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2005, 01:35:12 AM »
which school was it?

maximumtennis82

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 01:52:10 AM »
I'm sorry :(  :'(

But there are plenty of strong tax programs out there...and it's not the flashiest field, so I'm sure you'll be able to achieve standout status.  ;D

critic

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 02:05:54 AM »
That sucks. >:(

NYU is one of my dream schools as well.

Could you post your complete date/numbers so I can time when to expect my rejection? (also expecting it to be my first)

critic

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 02:15:59 AM »
Complete 12/22, rejected 1/24 (34 days so I must have really sucked).  Don't want to post my numbers and embarrass myself any further since apparently I am stupid.

your numbers can't have been that bad if you got into minnesota and madison  ;)

good luck with your other schools! I hope this one rejection is the aberration.

akl

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 03:54:49 AM »
NYU (the biggest tax school in the country and I am the biggest tax geek in the country so it was a perfect match.)

just to make you feel a little better that you not missing out on the "best" tax school read this excerpt from article on the American Bar Association website.......

Then there are the specialty rankings. U.S. News asks a small set of professors in each specialty field to nominate 15 schools with the best programs. Schools with the most nominations get listed in the top 10.

“We made the intellectual property list for the first time a few years ago not because of a sudden increase in quality, but because we got the word out about our program with a generally distributed brochure,” Herz (a law professor at Carodoza)  says. “The following year, a few other schools sent around brochures and snuck onto the list and we fell out of the top 10. The year after that, we sent around an even better brochure, and were back on. It’s pretty silly.”

Further, Herz says, if a school has a decent, well-known program in a particular field—maybe 13th or 14th on everyone’s list—it would come out as the best in the country just because more people have heard of it. “It’s easier to be visible than to be good,” he says. “Specialty rankings rate visibility rather than quality.”
3.5/169

kernelgt

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 09:47:24 AM »
NYU (the biggest tax school in the country and I am the biggest tax geek in the country so it was a perfect match.)

just to make you feel a little better that you not missing out on the "best" tax school read this excerpt from article on the American Bar Association website.......

Then there are the specialty rankings. U.S. News asks a small set of professors in each specialty field to nominate 15 schools with the best programs. Schools with the most nominations get listed in the top 10.

“We made the intellectual property list for the first time a few years ago not because of a sudden increase in quality, but because we got the word out about our program with a generally distributed brochure,” Herz (a law professor at Carodoza)  says. “The following year, a few other schools sent around brochures and snuck onto the list and we fell out of the top 10. The year after that, we sent around an even better brochure, and were back on. It’s pretty silly.”

Further, Herz says, if a school has a decent, well-known program in a particular field—maybe 13th or 14th on everyone’s list—it would come out as the best in the country just because more people have heard of it. “It’s easier to be visible than to be good,” he says. “Specialty rankings rate visibility rather than quality.”

That's awesome information, thanks.  I guess it comes down to what YOU do with your degree, not necessarily what specialty your school has listed in USNWR.