Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who has written a letter of reconsideration?  (Read 4340 times)

chicago108

• View Profile
Who has written a letter of reconsideration?
« on: January 30, 2005, 12:04:55 PM »
Hey folks,

Has anyone written a letter to a school after being denied explaining why they should reconsider? A letter that essentially provides additional info that you didn't include earlier and hence making you a more worthy candidate?

I'm going back and forth about whether to do this or if it's just a waste of time.  I was rejected from both GWU and GULC, two of my top choices (esp. because my husband lives in the area).  Also, I was recently featured in a national magazine for my efforts in starting up a volunteer organization - which I think GULC and GW should know about it.

Anyone else do this? Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance.

OnDayAtaTime

Re: Who has written a letter of reconsideration?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 01:37:37 PM »
I have no clue if it would help (or if they even consider un rejecting people, but I think I have heard them doing it for things like the LSATs), but how could it hurt you...worse comes to worse they think you are annoying and say no...

I would say go for it!

bradzwest

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 01:42:44 PM »
I'm not treating any of my admission/scholarship decisions as final.  Never hurts to ask to be reconsidered for anything.  Good luck.

ilsox7

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 03:00:50 PM »
I'll throw my opinion into the ring: it cannot hurt you, but I highly doubt it helps you.  If you had been close enough to being admitted that something significant like that would make the difference, I think you would have been waitlisted.

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 05:46:16 PM »
I'll throw my opinion into the ring: it cannot hurt you, but I highly doubt it helps you.  If you had been close enough to being admitted that something significant like that would make the difference, I think you would have been waitlisted.

That's a good point.
It seems the time for submitting additional information is before they make their final decision.

I'm also not too sure it reflects well on you that, when you had the chance, you neglected to draw attention to important facts that may have affected the outcome of the committee's decision.
That's the kind of thing that gets lawyers fired and causes firms to pay out on malpractice claims.
Similarly, your contracts professor isn't going to give you credit for coming up to him the day after finals to tell him you had another thought about statute of frauds that you would like to add to your examination essay which he already graded.

I don't know. I'm just thinking that could be how admissions people would look at it. 

3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 07:52:01 PM »

I agree. And there is usually a statement in the application or brochure that states that all decisions rendered by the committee are final and will not be reconsidered.

Yoshi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 10:22:18 PM »
Hey folks,

Has anyone written a letter to a school after being denied explaining why they should reconsider? A letter that essentially provides additional info that you didn't include earlier and hence making you a more worthy candidate?

I'm going back and forth about whether to do this or if it's just a waste of time. I was rejected from both GWU and GULC, two of my top choices (esp. because my husband lives in the area). Also, I was recently featured in a national magazine for my efforts in starting up a volunteer organization - which I think GULC and GW should know about it.

Thanks in advance.

I sent in a letter after my December rejection from GWU (my first choice), and this is the letter I got in response:

We have received your request for a reconsideration of your application for admission to the law school class beginning this fall.  The Faculty Committee on Admissions will not begin to reconsider applications until all completed applications have been reviewed.  Until that time, no new action will be taken on your application.  Sometime around mid-May, the Admissions Committee will begin to reconsider applicants who have requested it.  You can expect to receive a decision shortly thereafter.

While I am glad I sent that letter, I simply can't wait for a decision to be made that late, since I have scholarship offers from other schools that I have to act upon in April.  It breaks my heart, but I have moved on ...

Good luck, I say go for it, especially if you are really trying to stay in the area because of your husband. :)

bradzwest

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 10:27:44 PM »
Hey folks,

I'm going back and forth about whether to do this or if it's just a waste of time. I was rejected from both GWU and GULC, two of my top choices (esp. because my husband lives in the area). Also, I was recently featured in a national magazine for my efforts in starting up a volunteer organization - which I think GULC and GW should know about it.

Thanks in advance.

I sent in a letter after my December rejection from GWU (my first choice), and this is the letter I got in response:

We have received your request for a reconsideration of your application for admission to the law school class beginning this fall.  The Faculty Committee on Admissions will not begin to reconsider applications until all completed applications have been reviewed.  Until that time, no new action will be taken on your application.  Sometime around mid-May, the Admissions Committee will begin to reconsider applicants who have requested it.  You can expect to receive a decision shortly thereafter.

While I am glad I sent that letter, I simply can't wait for a decision to be made that late, since I have scholarship offers from other schools that I have to act upon in April.  It breaks my heart, but I have moved on ...

Good luck, I say go for it, especially if you are really trying to stay in the area because of your husband. :)

Helpful post...there are always options for those who can be flexible!

Jgunnz

• Sr. Citizen
  • GPA: 3.64, LSAT: (156+166)/2
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 11:08:34 PM »
If there is a specific reason to make the request the response toward your application may be more immediate depending on the circumstances.

For example, I asked Fordham to please wait to consider both my lsat scores before making a decision but I got a decision a week after my December scores were released. So I knew it was impossible that they considered both scores. I e-mailed them and they re-set my application the next day and apologized for the oversight.
Brooklyn Law Prince Scholar ($17.5K per year)

kristay

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 02:09:58 AM »
I thought of another line to add.  "To emulate the language in the admissions committee’s letter. Please accept [my] best wishes for finding a candidate more qualified than I.”

I hope you're joking.