Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emory  (Read 1874 times)

ilsox7

Re: Emory
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2005, 04:20:40 PM »
regarding lexis and westlaw, we had limited access first semester so that we could learn "how to use the books".  this semester we have full access.  it's useful to know both methods. 

as for wireless - if we had it, it would be a $32k wireless cafe

Interesting about Lexis/Westlaw.  Wash U. also gives limited access to 1L's so apparently it may be a common thing.

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 11:42:04 PM »
I visited Emory last week, and that very long post was essentially dead on in my impression.

The only thingsi would add:

my tour guide (an asst dean for admissions) said that wireless would be installed by next fall, and that the $$$ had already been set aside to setup a network.

Architecture/ambiance (sp?) of the interior/exterior leaves something (alot) to be desired. (Although not as bad as W and L)

Overall, my impression was favorable.

kristen14

• Sr. Citizen
  • LitiGATOR :)
    • AOL Instant Messenger - DCPompeia
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 01:44:31 AM »
Also leaning towards Emory...very anxious to receive a financial aid package, however!  (They're apparently mailing them out in 4 weeks or so...just FYI!)

A little concerned about facilities (after reading various posts), but most everything else sounds tres fab and I'm definitely looking forward to my visit in April!

See y'all there  8)
"It is only in the mysterious equations of love that any reason can be found." ~Beautiful Mind
MPH / JD Hopeful :)

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=kristen14

puma

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2005, 02:40:45 AM »
That is interesting about the Lexis/Nexis & Westlaw restrictions.  I'm pretty sure that as an undergrad I have unlimited access to Lexis; I've used it before!  Not Westlaw though, and NOT, I'm sure, in the same manner that someone who was learning, or doing, actual legal research (vs. looking up the Bollinger case summary for a Poli-Sci class).

I think the game playing is pretty common too, though unfortunate.  If you are going to go into debt to learn to "think like a lawyer," you might as well try to do so.  Oh well, I guess that not eveeryone works for their grades, to some it must come easy.

the REAL desi

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2005, 09:34:22 AM »
Architecture/ambiance (sp?) of the interior/exterior leaves something (alot) to be desired.

architecture leaves ALOT to be desire - that is correct.  did you have an opportunity to check out the bizarre decor in the student lounge?

waitingsucks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2005, 09:46:55 AM »
Student lounge had some flat screen plasmas i remember, which seemed nice. Just to clarify, I would call the architecture uninspiring, bland, utilitarian, but it was not so bad as to make me not want to go there...it was ok, just not "great". On the other hand, I was pretty excited about W and L until i saw their facilities, and that is almost enough to  dissuade me from going to Lexington. Emory isn't that bad. Plus the surrounding area and campus generally are very nice.

If that clarify's anything at all