;

Author Topic: Emory  (Read 1824 times)

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
Emory
« on: January 29, 2005, 07:01:03 PM »
Could someone tell me about Emory?  This is now my first choice.  Competitive? Facilities? Administration? Placement? Etc. 

Thanks
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

Bluenine

• Sr. Citizen
  • Shut up
    • View Profile
Re: Emory
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 10:23:35 AM »
Someone on this board has to know about Emory. ???
The George Washington University Law School c/o 2008

dr_draino

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 11:01:16 AM »
Someone on this board has to know about Emory. ???

a dude named eva is a 1L there.  Seems to like it.  Says he hasn't found it to be as crazy competitive as it has a reputation for being.  Lots of trust-fund kids.  He comes around like once a week or so...I'm sure he'll see the thread and comment.  Or you can try to find him and send him a pm.  Very nice helpful guy.

honeybuns

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 01:34:50 PM »
Emory is pretty competitive. Atlanta is a great city.

Good job placement for ATL and NYC.

the REAL desi

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 06:03:09 PM »
1) competitive, but not cut-throat
2) administration is very friendly and helpful
3) career services people are very helpful - i've gotten more help from them since Nov 1 than I got during my whole undergrad
4) placement:  Atlanta, NYC, DC, the South, everywhere else.  average non-T14 OCI is 10%.  our OCI placement is much much higher.
5) OCI and job fairs:  Emory in NY, Emory in DC, Chicago (co-sponsor), Dallas (co-sponsor), SoCal (co-sponsor)
6)  law school facilities:  don't want much more.  Used to female dog about wireless - but if you had wireless, you wouldn't do anything in class.  People seem to think that we're a black mark on an otherwise spectacular campus.
7)  general facilities:  one decent gym and one ttt gym.  most people join LA Fitness in Toco Hills
8)  housing:  Clairmont Campus is beautiful and convenient.  Off-campus options are abundant and cheaper than most metropolitan cities.
9)  people:  used to be very intolerant of them, but it's all mellowed out now.  Very geographically diverse class.  Ethnically, as diverse as it should be.
10)  Emory vs. schools of similar rank:  we're in a metropolitan environment.  Substantial networking capabilities.  Plenty of local professional and social organization to join and be active with.  I know I will have more options here versus a place like Iowa City or Champaign-Urbana.

our website has plenty of information.  check it out.  any more questions send me a PM.

btw, we had an ice storm here yesterday.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 02:29:15 PM »
Wow, thanks for the long post.

Emory is my top choice right now, and I'm very much leaning towards going there.  I'll be visiting in a few weeks, and much of what you've pointed out are things I'm planning on looking for/asking about.

I thought I had heard that they didn't have wireless internet in the class rooms, and unfortunately it looks like I heard right.  I don't think that's something that will make or break my decision, but it does bum me out a bit.

EDIT:  Upon rereading the thread, I had "heard" about the wireless from our own eva, and then promptly forgot about it except in vague terms.  :)

The same with the lack of access to Lexis and Westlaw.  I see what their point is, but at the same time, the entire legal field is quickly pushing into the internet/electronic world.  Again, not a huge factor, but a bit disappointing.

Thanks again for your post, it's a big help!

Dano

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 02:40:13 PM »
The same with the lack of access to Lexis and Westlaw.  I see what their point is, but at the same time, the entire legal field is quickly pushing into the internet/electronic world.  Again, not a huge factor, but a bit disappointing.

Plus, the price for online research services will probably decrease over time making them more affordable to startup lawyers and small firms.  Maybe the first semester, but not the whole first year.

The attitude of the students sounds disappointing as well.  Paying all of that money to attend law school so that they can play wireless games on a laptop???

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 02:44:33 PM »
Hey, if they want to play games, that's fine.  Whatever little bit extra I get from paying attention from class I'll more than appreciate.

Doing well I think is about studying smart, and sometime making those sacrifices others aren't willing to make.  Not that I think paying attention in class should count as a sacrific...but yeah, if people want to make it easier for me to get ahead, I'm not going to complain.

the REAL desi

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 03:28:31 PM »
regarding lexis and westlaw, we had limited access first semester so that we could learn "how to use the books".  this semester we have full access.  it's useful to know both methods. 

as for wireless - if we had it, it would be a $32k wireless cafe

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 03:34:07 PM »
Hey, if they want to play games, that's fine.  Whatever little bit extra I get from paying attention from class I'll more than appreciate.

Doing well I think is about studying smart, and sometime making those sacrifices others aren't willing to make.  Not that I think paying attention in class should count as a sacrific...but yeah, if people want to make it easier for me to get ahead, I'm going to complain.

Definitely agreed.

And thanks so much for all the info, Sara.  I appreciate the detail and the honesty.  Like Jacy, I'm leaning toward Emory as well (although I still have a few pending apps).  I really like a lot of what I've heard, so it's going to come down to the visit now.