Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: U Alabama/ Live in Birmingham?  (Read 974 times)

matt510

• View Profile
U Alabama/ Live in Birmingham?
« on: January 29, 2005, 02:32:54 PM »
I am probably going to Alabama, but Tuscaloosa is an ugly town. My wife has a job offer in Birmingham, so we are going down to visit the Birmingham area next weekend.

Where are best places to live? Where should we go to see the nightlife?

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: U Alabama/ Live in Birmingham?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 03:10:36 PM »
Are you from Alabama, or at least familiar with it?  It is a whole other world, really.  I am originally from Atlanta, and you would think, geographically Alabama and Georgia can't be all that different.  Really though, you might be in for a shock. 

matt510

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 07:05:18 PM »
Are you from Alabama, or at least familiar with it? It is a whole other world, really. I am originally from Atlanta, and you would think, geographically Alabama and Georgia can't be all that different. Really though, you might be in for a shock.

I have lived in Tennessee for 7 years, so I think I can handle it. Are you referring to the good ol' boys club? If so, I am a walking encyclopedia of SEC football. ;D

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 07:14:45 PM »
My favorite areas of Birmingham are Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, and Hoover.  The 45 minute drive to Tuscaloosa might get old, but I agree -- Tuscaloosa sucks.  Then again, I'm a little biased because I live in Auburn!  but seriously, Tuscaloosa as a town really blows.  Birmingham can be pretty fun though, and it has the best shopping in the state (but that's not saying much, seriously .. most people go to Altanta).
Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

JackInTheBox

• Sr. Citizen
  • Eggnog and Pumpkin Pie Shakes Make Me In The Box
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 08:12:18 PM »
Yeah, the good old boys and some of the other *clubs* they got in Alabama.  There are a lot of smart and cultured people in Alabama, no question; but in general, I find the locals a bit...mmm...redneck?

My parents live in Huntsville, AL.  Over Christmas, I visited them (from California) and at one point, my brother and I were in a local Blockbuster.  Being in the military, I was terrified when full-camoflauged people would walk-in; I was on my face, doing a belly crawl towards the back before my brother could tell me that a) no war had broken out and b) it is customary for the tribes of Alabama to dress in camo.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 08:40:55 PM »
Tuscaloosa is an ugly town.

Word.

My favorite areas of Birmingham are Vestavia Hills, Mountain Brook, and Hoover. The 45 minute drive to Tuscaloosa might get old, but I agree -- Tuscaloosa sucks. Then again, I'm a little biased because I live in Auburn! but seriously, Tuscaloosa as a town really blows. Birmingham can be pretty fun though, and it has the best shopping in the state (but that's not saying much, seriously .. most people go to Altanta).

Another Auburn Tiger on the board??? I think that makes three of us, not bad, not bad.......

Whats your name/major? Just curious..... I havent really met many fellow applicant here because well, the pre-law group never does anything.........  :-\
Texas Tech Law Class of '08