Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Univ Houston  (Read 1109 times)

abcd

• View Profile
Univ Houston
« on: January 29, 2005, 02:22:25 PM »
Anyone go to the Open House today? What were your thoughts? I thought the building was hideous inside and out. But aside from that I thought it was worthwhile. It was an interesting mix of young and older students. The admissions staff and student ambassadors seemed friendly.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Univ Houston
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 08:47:42 PM »
Elaborate a little on the actual apperance of the school....

I've walked around the building but I wasn't able to take a tour (it was a Sunday), so I know its not gorgeous, but the interior sucks too?

How'd the rest of the visit go?
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

BigTex

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »
Was the Open House in the law school? Hideous? Wow, i remember studying there all the time in undergrad. Personally, I liked the library very much. And i recently went back and saw that it had been majorly renovated. I thought it looked very nice. I never walked into any of the law classrooms, but the rest of the building looked nice, certainly not hideous. but, that's just my aesthetic opinion.

abcd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 01:31:29 PM »
BigTex, I agree with you about the library. It was definitely the highlight of the tour. It was by far nicer than the classrooms and student areas. The rest of the campus, especially the architecture building were more beautiful. I also went to the undergrad library and was really impressed. I'm not dissing the law program at all, I thought the students and administration were great and I think I may actually end up going there, I just didn't think the law building was very inspiring compared to other schools.

The student study area for 1Ls was shoddy. As a 1L each student gets a study carrel. This area looked like a bunch of old desks thrown together in a room with rickety chairs so that the admin could say they had a special area just for 1ls. The offices of the student groups and journals are in the basement of the law school. It looked like they just threw up some cubicles and wall partitions to make offices. The classrooms while not bad were only so so. Maybe I'm biased bc I have visited other law schools with facilities that were more impressive. In his welcome speech at the beginning of the Open House, one of the Dean's spoke about the strengths and weaknesses of their school. I thought it was funny that he joked that the building was designed in a style he referred to as "brutalistic" and acknowledged that the facilities were less than beautiful. In the end I know it's a solid school for Texas (Houston) and not to base my decision on this factor alone, but something I thought I'd share anyway.

BigTex

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 01:48:41 PM »
yes, i do know what you mean about the 1L study carrells. I definitely would not study in those. I think the law library and the UG library are the best places on campus to study. The UG library is stunningly beautiful and, unlike many other UG libraries, it's easy to find tucked away study corners that are actually silent.

Also, there are tons of lecture halls, libraries, department lounges, etc., all over campus that are both open and vacant after 5 p.m. I had great fun at UH finding quaint little study nooks all over campus.

andmeoff

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 10:28:35 AM »
I agree that the building is not beautiful, and that the basement area looks thrown together, but you have to put that in perspective; the entire building was completely flooded during Allison (huge tropical storm - flooded the city) in 2001 and they've been in the process of rebuilding it since.  It takes a lot of time and money to recover from a disaster like that, and they're doing the best they can with what they have. 

andmeoff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 10:35:16 AM »