Law School Discussion

Apple vs Microsoft

newy

• HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
Re: Apple vs Microsoft
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2005, 09:01:54 AM »
Costco has pretty good laptops (namely, HPs).  You can return them no-questions-asked for up to 6 months after purchase so if you don't like it, no worries.  Be sure to get a Centrino processor (as Pentium 4s are heavier, run hot and have shorter battery life).

ZildjianKX

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2005, 10:04:09 AM »
Just buy a used 12" notebook on ebay for finals and keep your powerbook.  That's what I'm doing.

Trinitygunner

• That's my baby picture?
    • MSN Messenger - kennfukuda@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Trinitygunner
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2005, 07:04:44 PM »
I am a mac user. There are a couple of issues--the other posters were correct about the whole clockspeed thing--Mac clockspeeds of 1.4, 1.8 GHz cannot be compared with Intel/AMD processor clockspeeds. They are like comparing apples and oranges.

Advantages of a PC (compared to a Mac): cheaper, easier to customize (in terms of memory, peripherals), more variety to choose from, more software, gaming

Advantages of a MAC (compared to a PC): stable platforms, you can really do anything on a mac that you would want to do on a PC...just get virtual PC, less viruses, more aesthetically pleasing, easier to connect/hook up peripherals.

The primary disadvantages of a mac are that they are more expensive, there's no competition on the market, less software available (but you can always use virtual PC)--but all the important stuff shows up on a MAC, i.e. MS Office and stuff, and gaming is more difficult on a macintosh.

I recommend a Mac, of course...

St. Shaun

• Yes, I am this pretty.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2005, 07:01:58 AM »
Actually, I think you'll find that the ibook is one of the cheapest laptops around, especially with the education discount.
I'm going to rent a PC laptop for finals, otherwise I'm going to stick with my ibook and imac G5.  Don't forget about the
new mini mac when it comes to value.

« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2005, 08:19:03 AM »
Alright, I'm more or less sold to the ibook .. however I still have some concerns .. How many guys actually use the ibook (not powerbook) .. seems like the stigma attached is that it's a lady's laptop. Secondly, are there any free spyware removal tools available to use for the mac? What about anti-virus?. Thirdly, does apple monitor and probes into your PC like that evil corporation starting with M, and its not the food joint.

« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2005, 08:22:00 AM »
"I have a 12" Powerbook G4 "

me too!   :-* :-* :-* pb

i too am going to probably purchase a used PC for any exams

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2005, 09:14:17 AM »
Alright, I'm more or less sold to the ibook .. however I still have some concerns .. How many guys actually use the ibook (not powerbook) .. seems like the stigma attached is that it's a lady's laptop. Secondly, are there any free spyware removal tools available to use for the mac? What about anti-virus?. Thirdly, does apple monitor and probes into your PC like that evil corporation starting with M, and its not the food joint.

I wouldn't say it's a girl's computer at all.  It's a very good entry-level machine for the Mac line.

Spyware and viruses usually don't hit the Mac line simply because there are so few people using it.  More viruses are created every day to attack Microsoft machines than exist that attack the Mac.  I'm not sure if there are any free detectors, but who cares?  You are spending over a thousand bucks on a computer, so why would you scrimp on a $40 software package from Norton?

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2005, 09:59:35 AM »
The closest thing to a stigma was when people commented "its white, thats wierd".  Other than that you won't hear much of anything about it.   I know about 6 other guys who have iBooks and all that, so I guess I never gave it a second thought.  I would highly suggest the iBook, but think about the size that you want.  I love my 12" model because it is small and light.  You may want the 14" for the additional options it provides, but I find them a little too big.  BTW- Apple just redid the specs on the powerbook line and rumor has that the prices dropped a little.  I am sure they are still higher than the iBook, but it may be something to look at before you make a final decision...

ZildjianKX

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2005, 11:44:36 AM »
Spyware and viruses usually don't hit the Mac line simply because there are so few people using it.  More viruses are created every day to attack Microsoft machines than exist that attack the Mac.  I'm not sure if there are any free detectors, but who cares?  You are spending over a thousand bucks on a computer, so why would you scrimp on a $40 software package from Norton?

They also don't hit the mac line because macs don't have crappy internet explorer tied in with their OS, and in order to write spyware for OS X, you'd have to enter in your administration password to get it to install (OS X really is safer).

As iBooks go, I personally think the 14" is a waste of money.  Sure, the screen is 2" larger than the 12", but they both run at 1024x768.  I'm going to buy a new 15" PB for law school with the next revision... the new price drops are really nice + edu discount.

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2005, 12:57:20 PM »
Virex comes free with a .mac account.  You should definitely get one of those.

Thanks lizardD ! Now i'm almost completely sold to the ibook ! ..

It seems that apple is going to launch the new ibook G5 with Tiger really soon. Should I wait that couple of months or should I go straight in and get an ibook g4 now ??

My gf seems to think that the ibook itself doesn't really fit the image of a typical law school student or solicitor/advocate for that matter .. just a passing comment anyway