Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Hofstra...high tution + high cost of living..how does anyone afford to attend?!  (Read 384 times)

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm fairly new here and this is my first post. My question is, I was accepted to Hofstra and its prolly one of the only higher ranked schools i'll get into.My numbers arent great, so i applied to mainly tier 3, some tier 4 and a couple of other tier 2 as well. But my thing is tution there is about 30,000 and from what i hear apartments in the area are about 1,200 a month! So what i'm trying to figure out is, how in the world can anyone afford to attend!? And with no scholarhsip money offered, i mean do people just take out loans to cover all this? or is that even possible or what? or will i have to settle for maybe a lower ranked school with lower tution and a cheaper cost of living! well maybe, i have like 14 other applications still pending. Any info on this matter is greatly needed!  thanks  :)
HUSL 1L

JoAnna

• View Profile
Hi,

I'm fairly new here and this is my first post. My question is, I was accepted to Hofstra and its prolly one of the only higher ranked schools i'll get into.My numbers arent great, so i applied to mainly tier 3, some tier 4 and a couple of other tier 2 as well. But my thing is tution there is about 30,000 and from what i hear apartments in the area are about 1,200 a month! So what i'm trying to figure out is, how in the world can anyone afford to attend!? And with no scholarhsip money offered, i mean do people just take out loans to cover all this? or is that even possible or what? or will i have to settle for maybe a lower ranked school with lower tution and a cheaper cost of living! well maybe, i have like 14 other applications still pending. Any info on this matter is greatly needed!  thanks  :)

Well, Hofstra's tuition isn't any different than any other private school in the NYC area - I know Brooklyn Law, NYLS, Cardozo and St. John's are all around $30k per year (if not more). Bottom line: most law students do not get scholarships, and they have to take care of their tuition and living expenses with loans.
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

140am

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Another concept people forget about is that some people have rich families, and they can afford schools with higher tuitions.  I know more than a few kids with no college debt and no LS debt because their parents paid every bill for school and paid their rent the whole time.

It's not my family, but it happens all the time.

cam108

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
So i'm wondering is it better to go to a higher ranked school which costs a alot more money or settle for a lower ranked one and have less debt?? any thoughts on this?
HUSL 1L