Law School Discussion

!@!!!!! Stanford!!!!!!

Muppet

• "And we'll pass and be forgotten with the rest..."
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: !@!!!!! Stanford!!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2005, 09:21:06 AM »
Congratulations!!!  I echo the statements of maximumtennis.  Make sure you do the secret signal at admit weekend.

maricutie

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2005, 09:23:20 AM »
Secret signal is a must. Uh ... once we figure out what it is, we'll let you know :)

I sent you this via PM ... but CONGRATS !!!  ;D

blackseptember

• if who mated?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2005, 09:31:19 AM »
Dude,
  Not to be the one to piss on your parade,but "you can't believe it"?  Are you genuinely that shocked? A 3.93 from an Ivy and a 174? Were you expecting to spend 3 years at the pacific-mcgeorge school of law?
       Sorry but I guess when I saw all of the exclamation points and various other marks of emphasis after the "Stanford" on the subject  line I was expecting a true miracle...like a white person getting in under a 170 or something...I don't know....anyway, in case you really don't know, with your numbers you don't need to be shocked in the future about getting accepted pretty much everywhere except for Yale.....

I agree about this. Why do people make like they've defied the gods when their numbers put them right in the statistical middle or top. Im more impressed by posters like Maricutie who's unique experience/insight (gleaned on my part from lsn) is what won the day. That said, everyone in this position deserves mad props so congratulations.   

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 09:48:33 AM »
Not a huge surprise comsidering your numbers, and from an Ivy league too.
I have to say though, it was a bit cocky to wait until December to submit your apps.
But I guess you knew you had the stats to get away with it.
Congratulations.

BM2004

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 10:11:16 AM »
Congratulations - a great achievement for anyone - regardless of his or her numbers.  According to the figures from last cycle, you still had less than a 50% chance of being admitted - so congrats!  It is a stellar program and a great community.

An aside to Alphalyrae: Why assume the guy was a "bit cocky" for submitting applications in December? What a ridiculous statement.  If anything, your post reflects your own anxiety because you haven't heard anything yet - even after having submitted your application in September.

maricutie

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2005, 10:29:59 AM »
If I remember correctly, the OP's very first choice was stanford. Yes, he had a good shot at any one of the HYS, but they're also the most random, which makes it a little harder for those with high numbers because high numbers alone isn't going to cut it. Plus, if you're a pessimist (like I was), you're going to be of the belief that every school under the sky will admit you but, knowing your luck, it'll be the one you really really want that won't. And who knows, he may have had particular reasons for making stanford his first choice.

I don't know if applying late seems "cocky," though. Maybe he wanted to take extra time on the PS. Maybe something occured with the LORs. Yes, it only disadvantages your application the later you apply, but there's the possibly that maybe something came up. Things happen.

PS: thanks, blackseptember. I'm blushing ...  :-*

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2005, 11:03:31 AM »
An aside to Alphalyrae: Why assume the guy was a "bit cocky" for submitting applications in December? What a ridiculous statement.  If anything, your post reflects your own anxiety because you haven't heard anything yet - even after having submitted your application in September.

There's no need to be like that. :P

I was simply offering a friendly pat on the back, and pointing out that he is clearly a strong and worthy applicant to any school, and that he is probably well aware of that fact (or is now).

I realized early on that my app had some major weaknesses (an unimpressive GPA from unimpressive schols). So I decided to get my ducks in a row early. The highest ranked school I was going to apply to was Boalt (which I considered a long shot), but I took a chance at several top 10's and it's been paying off. Sure, I'd like to have an offer from Stanford, but I know that my GPA and undergad institutions make me a slim chancer there. (but I didn't think I had much of a shot at any of the T14's) If I am admitted there (which I don't think I will be) I realize that it will likely be at the last minute after a lengthy hold period, because I'm a borderline case.

Anyway, to the OP, in case it wasn't clear, you're clearly a strong applicant and if you DO get any rejects, it's probably from schools that know there's no way you're going to go there anyway.

BM2004

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2005, 11:14:05 AM »
Alph: It was not my intention to be rude or cut you down. Based on your record of acceptances, you can also take pride in your achievement - regardless of what happens with Stanford.  Good luck.

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2005, 11:26:35 AM »
I realized early on that my app had some major weaknesses (an unimpressive GPA from unimpressive schols). So I decided to get my ducks in a row early. The highest ranked school I was going to apply to was Boalt (which I considered a long shot), but I took a chance at several top 10's and it's been paying off. Sure, I'd like to have an offer from Stanford, but I know that my GPA and undergad institutions make me a slim chancer there. (but I didn't think I had much of a shot at any of the T14's) If I am admitted there (which I don't think I will be) I realize that it will likely be at the last minute after a lengthy hold period, because I'm a borderline case.

Ok you have these stats : 3.81/172  and your GPA is too low and you're a long shot for T-14?  If you're a long shot for t-14 I'm the queen of England.  Don't be so negative!  You have better raw numbers than I would say something like 90% of all applicants and probably at least 75% of all posters on LSN.  I know you weren't trying to offend, but those of us with less impressive stats feel even more insecure when those with legitimate chances at top schools doubt their own worth.  Be confident in your achievements!  You are clearly a remarkably intelligent individual who will succeed in law school, no need to for self doubt here.

Infoolio

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2005, 11:43:58 AM »

There's no need to be like that. :P

I was simply offering a friendly pat on the back, and pointing out that he is clearly a strong and worthy applicant to any school, and that he is probably well aware of that fact (or is now).

Anyway, to the OP, in case it wasn't clear, you're clearly a strong applicant and if you DO get any rejects, it's probably from schools that know there's no way you're going to go there anyway.

Ok, don't take this the wrong way but are you kidding? 3.8/172/URM (and 2nd most desired URM...) and you only thought you could get into boalt? That alone is an auto admit for at least 2 of the top 10...........