Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Fordham Waitlist  (Read 8630 times)

marcman

• Sr. Citizen
  • 2.85/166
    • View Profile
Re: Fordham Waitlist
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 09:28:41 PM »
I was waitlisted with a 3.78/162/168.

I don't follow...was that a 3.78 in "television observation" or something?  one should have a fighting chance at Columbia or NYU with those numbers...definitely Boalt or Cornell
I totally agree, you must have filled out your app in crayon and spilled apple juice all over it not to get in with those numbers.

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 04:06:22 PM »
Thanks guys.  I try not to pay too much attention to status but was a little surprised myself.  The 3.78 is from a seven sisters' school in Comparative Literature, I'm bilingual, certified in mediation, have worked in legal aid with refugees for a year and another year in general legal assistance, been a human rights observer for international elections, am writing a book on genocide with one of the most wanted peace activists in East Africa... plus I'm Catholic, and spent a year doing Jesuit Volunteer Corps (it's a Jesuit school)! I just don't get it.  Well whatever, because I took myself off the waitlist immediately and will most likely be going to Cornell or Boalt.  But it does make me question the system.  Do you think it was yield protection?

Yellow Snow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 11:51:17 AM »
I was waitlisted.

LSAT 158/168
GPA 3.4

Romancingthestone, it sounds like yield protection to me. You seem way overqualified, at least on paper which is what counts.

blizzard of ozz

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.66/163
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2004, 12:11:56 PM »
I don't know. I've been expecting my Fordham waitlist/rejection for the last several months. Like a previous poster I'm also Catholic, but frankly I don't think they care about anything besides the LSAT. Check out their LSAC index formula. They may as well make GPA optional. LOR's already are.

Schools that are as numbers heavy as Fordham irritate me to no end. I play 9 instruments, raised tons of money for charity, come from a unique background, speak 4 languages and program in 5. But, my LSAT score is a point below Fordham's median so there's a 90% chance I'll get a ding. <Sigh>.

Fordham's not national, but they place better than most of the top 14 in NY if you're interested in BigLaw. Their alumni network is great too. Their clerkship and academia placement is not so impressive though.

Of course on the off chance I'm admitted, I'd be there in a heartbeat.

abc12345

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 12:38:33 PM »
i think it's all politics.  i'm STILL waiting to hear from them, pain in my butt...my friend said admissions is SUPER lazy.

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 02:42:11 PM »
Political in what way?  What does that mean?

jas9999

• Sr. Citizen
  • Actual Law Student
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 02:57:26 PM »
It's not all lsat. I was waitlisted at fordham with an lsat above their 75% mark. But my undergrad gpa was below their 25% mark. When I got the waitlist note, I called someone in their admissions office, who admitted that it's basically all a combination of the two. The rest of the app can serve as a tiebreak, but 95% is in the two scores. They waitlist a lot of people with the score split, so that they can see how their medians will turn out when more of the class accepts their seats. Then, they (may) let people off the waitlist if they need to raise one score or the other.

I was also told that out of 200+ on the wl last year, only two were offered seats.

romancingthestone

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 03:15:36 PM »
gross.  well, nice to know they really consider the whole person.  i feel kind of exposed because i had written a really personal extra essay to them, thinking they would appreciate it because of their stated emphasis on ethics!  apparently not.  well, whatever.  not going there regardless.

rickjames

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 11:10:26 AM »
I'm curious if anyone has received any recent nofication from Fordham, whether an acceptance, rejection or waitlist (and by recent I mean within the month of March?

I sent my application in November with a 163/3.74 and have yet to hear anything at all as of 3/24.

Rubin

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 11:46:46 AM »
I still have no answer either, but my application @ Fordham was incomplete. A letter of recommendation was missing, although sent (not received), and they hadn't notified me.

Conclusion: you'd better call them...