Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Chicago and Northwestern, anyone?  (Read 1209 times)

Spacebot7000

• Moondust will cover you.
    • View Profile
Chicago and Northwestern, anyone?
« on: January 27, 2005, 10:29:05 AM »
Anybody visit or have any insight on U Chicago and Northwestern? Campus quality, friendliness of students, competitiveness, etc? Much advance thanks.
Attending UChicago

clora

Re: Chicago and Northwestern, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 12:45:38 PM »
I actually visited five of the six schools in Chicago back in November. 

Northwestern was by far the best.  When I first walked into the school it felt right.  It has a very warm atmosphere, and the students and staff are friendly.  I know that this isn’t important, but I kind of like the color scheme in the main area.  They have some touch-screen information kiosks in the lobby.  I was playing with the kiosk while waiting for a tour guide and some guy actually stopped to ask if I had any questions.  When I sat in on a class the students around me were very friendly and personable.  People were actually smiling and seemed happy.  People looked at me in the face.  I was extremely impressed with the atmosphere. 

I absolutely hated University of Chicago.  The admissions staff was EXTREMELY RUDE to me.  They do not give tours to prospective students, but instead give you a cheap-@ss photocopy of a “self-guided tour.”  I stopped in the cafeteria for a snack and got sneered at by a student.  The students in the main area were not approachable.  The building is very sterile and cold feeling-–there’s no color and very big open spaces.  The admissions people were rude about giving directions.  I got lost on the way there and had to walk through a frightening neighborhood; although on the way back I went through North Campus and it was an absolutely beautiful neighborhood.  The best thing about my visit was that they have terrific food in the cafeteria. 

I got admitted to both schools and then some.  Right now I’m struggling to decide between Northwestern and Michigan.  I would take Northwestern over Chicago in a heartbeat.  However, there is an element of personal taste to this choice and really my impressions about the schools are just impressions.  There are other factors to consider, as I’m sure you are aware.

As for DePaul, Loyola, and Kent–they all seemed pretty much the same.  They seem like good schools with good students, but they are clearly not in the same league as Northwestern/Chicago.  I couldn’t tell what would make someone prefer one of them over another.  But I wouldn’t mind trying to describe each one if anyone is interested.

wongsb

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 12:52:15 PM »
I know that this isn’t important, but I kind of like the color scheme in the main area.  They have some touch-screen information kiosks in the lobby. 

PURPLE!

Ricockulous

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:56:01 PM »

I absolutely hated University of Chicago.  The admissions staff was EXTREMELY RUDE to me.  They do not give tours to prospective students, but instead give you a cheap-@ss photocopy of a “self-guided tour.” 

Interesting. I'm visiting next month and, at least according to the web site, tours are given in the Winter/Spring. I'm certainly planning on taking one.

Will post my impressions here.
Stats: 174, 3.38 (Georgetown), decent ECs, 4 yrs int'l WE
Applied: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Chicago
Donged:
Waitlisted: Michigan
Accepted:  UVA (in-state), Northwestern, NYU

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?&cycle=0405&user=richarnd&sort=status

'lit

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 12:59:23 PM »
Anybody visit or have any insight on U Chicago and Northwestern? Campus quality, friendliness of students, competitiveness, etc? Much advance thanks.

i had a lot of negative stereotypes about chicago, but i think if they were ever true they're far less true now. the summers at my firm from chicago were all awesome (not hypernerdy hyperconservative as i'd feared), and they raved-- really raved-- about the teaching. sounds like some of the best profs of any school.

clora

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 01:02:10 PM »
Their website said that they do give a limited number of tours, but that all tours were currently booked-up and they could not offer more tours.  I was like...WTF, so I e-mailed them to make sure.  They did not respond to my email.  Right before my visit I called, and the lady on the phone was really rude about it and told me I would have to take a self-guided tour.  When I showed up at the office to find out where to get a copy of the self-guided tour, the lady almost bit my head off while gesturing wildly at a stack of photocopies on a table.  To make matters worse, the information on the photocopy was not very useful. 

adverseeffect

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 02:19:47 PM »

I got admitted to both schools and then some.  Right now I’m struggling to decide between Northwestern and Michigan. .

hey clora, i'd love to hear your reasoning for one over the other.  i'm in at michigan and waiting on northwestern, but got a good vibe from my interviewer and the programs sound awesome so it could come down to those two for me too!  good luck!