-

-
« on: January 27, 2005, 05:24:07 AM »
-

jacy85

• View Profile
Re: Parental pride as a factor in law school selection
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 06:25:04 AM »
She can learn about Stanford.  "It's ranked #3 in the country, and is located in this beautiful place in CA."

You need to go where you think you'll be happiest.  If Stanford has more to offer you for public interest (better loan forgiveness, more clinics that are in the area of PI that you want to be in, etc), then you should go there.  Your mom will be insanely proud of you where ever you decide to go, as long as you're happy and successful.

My dad will be excited no matter where I end up, since he knows that I've made the decision that's best for my future.  He'll brag about it despite the fact that it's not Harvard.  In fact, I think he'd be disappointed if I went to a school he's heard of for the sole reason that he and others have heard of it, when in reality I wanted to go somewhere else.

I mean, it's not like you're choosing between Harvard and University of Joe Schmoe here.  It *is* Harvard and Stanford, and you'll do equally as well coming out of either school.  Which is why you need to look at the atmosphere (I've heard Harvard is cut throat competitive) and what the programs offer you and decide what will make you happiest.

deenaweena

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 09:41:12 AM »
I have considered this issue too, although I don't have any acceptances quite as impressive as yours under my belt.  I know that my parents are proud of me no matter where I go to law school, but I go to a top undergrad, so my parents assume that I should be accepted everywhere I apply and go to the top ranked school that will take me.  But I agree with jacy; you should go wherever you feel most comfortable.  You have qualifications that give you the benefit of some great options; you should make the most of the fact that so many excellent schools want you and find the place that fits your needs and interests the best!

jaxon

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 10:07:33 AM »
@#!* parental pride

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2005, 10:09:32 AM »

dr_draino

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 10:23:56 AM »
If you've been independent since you were 18, how is it that you don't have strong enough credit to NOT need a cosign?  Seriously, your parents made you pay them rent to live in their house when you were 16!?!?  That's nuts.  Sorry to hear.

My parents have always encouraged me to be financially independent.  For instance, I started paying rent before my 16th birthday (though it was guaged off my income).  I have never asked for a penny since leaving the house when I was 18, but now will probably need a cosigner for a student loan.  The problem is that their Alma Matter, BYU, accepted me.  If I chose that school, I wouldn't need a private loan.  And since my mother knows that BYU accepted me (my father passed away) I doubt she would cosign for a different school, no matter how great it may be.  As a result, I'm looking for schools that can offer enough assistance to prevent me from taking out a private loan.

That is how parental pride may influence my decision.

WoeIsMe

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 10:27:50 AM »
This question reminds me of a crib I saw at babys-r-us.  It converts into a daybed and full bed.... even had a picture of some homely college age kid on the box... i bet the poor sucker is still breastfed and getting rocked to sleep at night.

jaxon

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 10:32:06 AM »
This question reminds me of a crib I saw at babys-r-us.  It converts into a daybed and full bed.... even had a picture of some homely college age kid on the box... i bet the poor sucker is still breastfed and getting rocked to sleep at night.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2005, 10:47:13 AM »
I have the opposite problem. My parents want me to stay in California so if I get into, say, UVA or Michigan (yeah right), my parents would be like, "But you got into Santa Clara or U of San Diego. That's good enough." Lucky for them I probably won't have this be an issue :)

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2005, 11:33:43 AM »
I agree with the advice that ultimately it is your choice and your life.  However, I note that none of the above posted advice comes from someone who actually was admitted to HLS.  (Maybe there's an undergrad up there.)  The "H bomb" is a conversation stopper unlike any other school (including Stanford).

Only you can answer whether the knowledge of your mother's happiness/pride will make you happy enough to choose Harvard over Stanford.  As to a mother "learning" about Stanford, I predict she'll quickly tire of telling people what a great school it is (probably prefaced by "she got into Harvard, but chose Stanford").

This takes nothing away from Stanford.  An absolutely amazing school that is second to none in any real sense.  Most parents would not tell their child that although the child prefers school A that she should attend school B because it is more prestigious and then the parents can brag more.  The signs, if they are there, will be more subtle.

Congratulations on your problem.  You can't make a wrong choice with these schools.