Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recovery from Addiction... Is this approproate to mention in a statement???  (Read 3504 times)

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
fair enough, but also consider this from
http://www.michbar.org/journal/article.cfm?articleID=752&volumeID=59:

"An applicant’s candor when filling out the APH, and during the entire character and fitness process, is perhaps the most telling indicator of the applicant’s current character and fitness. If an applicant is not truthful concerning a past incident, that lack of candor is possibly more indicative of the applicant’s true character than any incident that may have previously occurred."

jaxon

once again, i am going to have to disagree here.  you are not a customer until you get accepted.  HTH

Be true to yourself.  If it's important to you, mention it.  If they don't like it, they might not be the best school for you.  The relationship is two-way.  You are their customer (paying A LOT of money)- remember that...

I refuse to kiss arse anymore...

Mention it and spin the positives that resulted.  I've known many people like you- and the people that really did recover are stronger and more successful than the folks who never had such an experience.  Remember, those admissions officers aren't kids- they've probably seen their share as well.

Good luck!

jaxon

"An applicant’s candor when filling out the APH, and during the entire character and fitness process, is perhaps the most telling indicator of the applicant’s current character and fitness. If an applicant is not truthful concerning a past incident, that lack of candor is possibly more indicative of the applicant’s true character than any incident that may have previously occurred."

you are going off on a tangent here. if a specific C&F app asks relevant questions, it is obviously imperitive that he remain truthful. but that is an issue that can be dealt with at that time.  by voluntary dislcosing something that raises serious questions, you are, at best case, demonstrating questionable judgement.

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bartha,

Good point.  However, if a recovered alcoholic has to hide from their past to 'get in' to somewhere- it's not a healthy set-up.  By being open and honest, one would feel understood and accepted.  It would help them move on and actually do better in law school, me thinks...

jaxon

Bartha,

Good point.  However, if a recovered alcoholic has to hide from their past to 'get in' to somewhere- it's not a healthy set-up.  By being open and honest, one would feel understood and accepted.  It would help them move on and actually do better in law school, me thinks...

there is a difference between 'hiding' and being prudent.

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Bartha,

Another good point.  That'll be for LongShot to decide.  It's all about how he/she feels about it.

Either way, some of the best schools I applied to:  Boalt, William and Mary...have applications that indirectly ask for these experiences...

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
...meaning that it might be a plus if you write about the experience in a positive way...

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile

you are going off on a tangent here. if a specific C&F app asks relevant questions, it is obviously imperitive that he remain truthful. but that is an issue that can be dealt with at that time.  by voluntary dislcosing something that raises serious questions, you are, at best case, demonstrating questionable judgement.

it's hardly tangential, as the issues the OP is worried about the issues that are routinely covered in the C&F evaluation.

call me an idiot if you wish.  i'm simply suggesting that perhaps the OP can spin his experiences to his advantage.  IMO, i think it's worse for the OP to not use all the advantages he may have.

jaxon

i guess i would not view a hisory of addiction as an 'advantage'. that might be the chief question on which we differ.

it's hardly tangential, as the issues the OP is worried about the issues that are routinely covered in the C&F evaluation.

call me an idiot if you wish.  i'm simply suggesting that perhaps the OP can spin his experiences to his advantage.  IMO, i think it's worse for the OP to not use all the advantages he may have.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
agreed.