Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Recovery from Addiction... Is this approproate to mention in a statement???  (Read 3743 times)

LongShot

• I'm Tired' all this jibba jabba
    • View Profile
    • Email
     I have been sober for almost 2 years.  I am a recovering addict and have been diagnosed with bi-polor II disorder.. I would guess that this probably makes me "non-traditional"!!  But is this something to mention in a personal statement?  It sure explains why I went from 2.41 undergrad to 3.8 present GPA at San Francisco City College.  It also provides me with a lot of material for the question "Have you ever overcome any obstacles in your life?"  I am highly intelligent, but these realities kept me from succeeding earlier.  Should I lump them together and call them a learning disability without mentioning the specifics?  I am not ashamed necessarily, but I don't want to include these things  if they are going to harm me. Am I going to have to disclose my trip to rehab in 2002 anyway? These aren't topics of normal conversation for me.  These things do not paint a complete picture of who I am. But they are real. I could easily get all the documentation required to prove my statements.  I have been poked and prodded by all kinds of doctors and suffered all the attendant misery that follows the life of an addict.  Not Pretty. I don't reveal these facts in my normal life unless it is absolutlely warranted.  But then law school is not normal life....   

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Absolutely!  Tell all!  What's the worst that can happen?  The reject you...only that

GWB quit drinking when he was 40-

Teddy is the most respected senator-

and on...

__

• LSD Obsessed
  • Chowdah mmmm
    • View Profile
wait I'm addicted to LSD,
but I guess that's kinda traditional
sometimes I put hot chinese mustard up my nose to see if I'm still alive

twarga

I look at it this way... if an adcom sees that you are prone to addiction/ mental instability, perhaps they might think the stress of 1L could put you over the top and back into rehab.  It could make you a bigger risk.  I'd leave it out.

jaxon

if you raise this issue in your PS, it will remain an issue when you apply to C&F. you would be a fool to voluntary disclose substance abuse problems.  HTH

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
To the extent that your recovery provides meaningful context in your personal statement(s), you should talk about it.  If you have demonstrated that you've managed to remain sober for a substantial period of time and under the varied pressures life throws in your face, I don't think adcomms will penalize you for it.  In fact, they may admire you for your experiences.

jaxon

To the extent that your recovery provides meaningful context in your personal statement(s), you should talk about it.  If you have demonstrated that you've managed to remain sober for a substantial period of time and under the varied pressures life throws in your face, I don't think adcomms will penalize you for it.  In fact, they may admire you for your experiences.

this is really bad advice.  once again, you are opening a can of worms by bringing up something that is specifically addressed in C&F evaluations.  the level of idiocy on this board sometimes amazes me.

geezer

• Sr. Citizen
  • More oysters than you can shake a stick at!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Be true to yourself.  If it's important to you, mention it.  If they don't like it, they might not be the best school for you.  The relationship is two-way.  You are their customer (paying A LOT of money)- remember that...

I refuse to kiss arse anymore...

Mention it and spin the positives that resulted.  I've known many people like you- and the people that really did recover are stronger and more successful than the folks who never had such an experience.  Remember, those admissions officers aren't kids- they've probably seen their share as well.

Good luck!

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
to each his own, but I think it's slightly naive to suggest that having recovered from substance abuse precludes membership to the bar.

jaxon

to each his own, but I think it's slightly naive to suggest that having recovered from substance abuse precludes membership to the bar.

you are entitled to your opinions. but you are taking a big leap here in insinuating that i meant recovery "precludes" you from membership to the bar.  such issues can at the very least make the process more complicated and uncertain than it needs to be. HTH.