Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Reality vs Fantasy  (Read 1314 times)

brklyngrl

• View Profile
Reality vs Fantasy
« on: January 26, 2005, 04:43:21 PM »
I'm a junior considering law school, and my GPA is good (3.9). I also test well, and anticipate doing well on the LSATs, based on practice tests. I don't, however, have any impressive extra-curricular/career achievements, and was wondering how important that is for tier 1 admissions. I nurture fantasies of a Yale/Harvard/Columbia JD, but I'm a non-traditional undergrad (late, late 20s), with gaps in my schooling. I attend a state school, and my GPA may not seem that impressive to admissions departments. I worry that my lack of non-academic achievement and the fact that I'm going to be older than a lot of applicants will hurt me.
Also, I've heard that law scool is a good time to have children because it is such a rigidly scheduled time, and I'd be interested to hear  how realistic having children during law school would be.
Any thoughts?

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Reality vs Fantasy
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2005, 11:41:30 PM »
My SO and I want kids, but we aren't getting married until after law school on purpose so I won't be tempted.  Dealing with a baby is grueling (my sis has a 2 year old), and I want to do really well.  I would advise against it!

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 03:30:11 PM »
If you get over 170 and preferably over 175 on the LSAT you will have a great shot at those schools. Especially Columbia. EC, et al are important, but nto as important as numbers. That being said all those schools get lots of high quality applicants a year and reject many so nothing is a sure bet. I would say though that with a 3.9 and a high LSAT you will get into at least one T4, if not more.   

eileen2004

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »

You mentioned that there were gaps in your education.  Did you attend more than one college or university?  If so, keep in mind that LSAC calculates your overall GPA.  If the 3.9 covers everything, then you're in great shape with some LSAT prep and a decent score.

Jumboshrimps

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2005, 03:59:53 PM »
There was a thread a while back about having kids in LS. The consensus was that there's no consensus. Half think it's the singular dumbest idea in the world and half think it's a fine idea.

You're a junior. You've got over a year to get involved in some groups and stuff. Run for city council. Start a politcal action group. Burn some flags at the Capitol. Refuse to eat until the government [fill in the blank].

tame

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2005, 04:04:10 PM »
Yup, like others have said, you should be absolutely fine if you do as well as you expect on the LSAT.  I'm in my mid to late-20s, also with gaps in my education and nothing too impressive on the extracurricular front, and I've gotten into all of the schools I applied to except for the top 3 - they're a bit more of a crapshoot, plus my GPA isn't quite high enough.  With a 3.9 though, yours would be.

As far as having kids goes, I would maybe wait to see how you feel once you've actually started law school.  Personally, it seems to me like it would be really difficult, but I know there are plenty of people who do it and it works just fine for them.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2005, 04:09:25 PM »
From what I have gathered the question of having kids in LS comes down to a few main questions

1. What is your support network like. Are there family members who are willing to help out.

2. Is your partner also planning on engaging in a very time consuming job/educational program

3. Are you ok with having a kid in day care for extend periods of time.

4. What is your post LS life going to be like. Are you planning on biglaw and working 80 hours a week, or going to work for the governemnt and working 40.

5. How good are you with dealing with stress. Do you trive under high stress little freetime enviroments or do you shut down.

There are now right or worng answers to these questions, only what your personal situation is like and how you feel about the answers.

MeliBelly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 01:14:14 PM »
Giffy - what a fine, level-headed response to the question of whether it's doable to have kids during law school!

I weighed in on the last debate because I plan to have another child during law school (I have a 2 year old now).  Because this is a concern, I've talked with the Deans of Admission at the two schools where I've been accepted.  Both have said not only is it doable, the 2nd or 3rd year is a great time to have kids.  Your schedule will (most likely) be much more flexible than when you are working and you'll probably have MORE time to spend with a new child than if you were to have a baby during the first couple of years working.

I agree wholeheartedly that it really depends what kind of support system you have and what kind of work you plan on doing after law school.  For me, I think it will work out just fine.

MeliBelly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 06:02:05 PM »
lizard - good luck with Emory!  And, if it's what you decide to do, with having a baby during LS!  I think the last debate on the topic was somehow deleted during the move to the new server, but it was a lot of people in their early 20s, probably not even in a serious relationship, saying that anyone who'd consider it is crazy, will be depressed and fail in law school.  It made me laugh, because I've talked to so many people who have had babies during school and done well.  From what I've learned (from professors, deans and students who have been there), the consensus seems to be that law school is a great time for babies... as long as it's not the first year, of course  :)

Good luck!