Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT 175-180  (Read 3180 times)

abc

• View Profile
LSAT 175-180
« on: January 26, 2005, 11:59:45 AM »
For all those out there who scored 175-180 on the LSAT - how did you prepare?

Thanks.

newy

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
Re: LSAT 175-180
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 12:03:41 PM »
I took 20 old tests in the 2 months leading up to the LSAT (starting with the oldest and ending with the most recent).  I took 2-3 tests a week under timed/actual testlike conditions.

The other days of the week, I studied by reading and going through the practice problems in Kaplan LSAT and Kaplsan LSAT 180.

I recorded my predicted (after taking the test) and actual scores on a calendar.  This gave me a good idea of the accuracy of my predictions so I would know whether or not I should cancel my score based on how I felt on test day.  I was really bad at predicting my actual score.

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 12:04:31 PM »
Before my first test (167) I took about 9 practice tests. Before my second test I looked at what I did wrong and took 2 more practice tests
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

newy

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2005, 12:07:48 PM »
That's really impressive.

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2005, 12:10:45 PM »
That's really impressive.
On my practice tests I was consistantly over 175, unfortunately on the real test I misread a few things. I knew I did bad, and should have cancelled, but I expect a 170-172 and am way too poor to cancel based on a marginally bad score. I think the key to the whole test is simply having a solid logical foundation, and reading carefully.
3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn

Who's Crowdaddy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Fuc% Y'all, I'm From Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »
Many practice tests under timed conditions. The key is that I was much quicker by test day than I was when I started. Doing the real practice tests gives you the best prep. The questions on the actual test are basically different versions of ones you have done before, so the more you have done the more familiar everything looks on test day.
I fought the Law and the Law won

I am the Law

headlesschicken

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2005, 01:31:31 PM »
I started by taking a real test untimed to get an idea of where I stood without any prep (I got a 174). Then I bought the Princeton Review "Cracking the LSAT" book and LSAC's "10 More Real LSATs" book. I read through the Princeton Review book and then took about 6 or 7 practice tests, two of which were timed.
179/3.97 (Top3)
Total payments to Yale, 1999-2008: >$250,000

ethelmag

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 03:58:31 PM »
Luckily, I've always been a very good standardized-test taker. That helped. But I did a lot of prep too.

I bought a book of actual former LSAT exams. I took a first test with no prep just to get a baseline (164). Then I worked through a large number of logic games questions because they are of course the trickiest part. After that I took several more practice tests in the week leading up to the exam (172-176). About a week and a half before the real exam, I realized that I was getting bored with the repetitive test taking and wasn't focusing all my attention on it the way I should be, so I just stopped. I took one final practice exam, then scored 175 on the real test.

I would suggest, if you are already a good test-taker, don't waste your time with the "strategies and explanations" type of test-prep book put out by Kaplan, Barrons, or any of the rest. It's exactly the same advice you would get for the SAT or GRE - read all the answer choices, eliminate definite wrong answers, etc. The books of real tests, answers, and nothing else are much more helpful. The big exception to this is if you're having serious trouble with the logic games section, since there are actual strategies you can learn to do better on the games.

Also, just because you have a book of full-length tests doesn't mean you have to take a whole test all at once. If you're having trouble with games, do just the games sections. When you run out of time, finish the rest of the problems anyway.

esoteric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 01:48:46 PM »
bump. I'm interested in this too.

AMB22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 01:55:51 PM »
(so this is in my unread replies...)