Law School Discussion

# of Letters of Rec

# of Letters of Rec
« on: January 26, 2005, 08:46:49 AM »
Since getting my deferred/waitlist letters in mid December, I've had 2 additional letters of rec written and sent. Is it overkill to go for a third? I'm following the standard of a personal statement every 3 weeks or so as well.
My gut says "overkill" regarding the 3rd letter of rec but my LSD sense says "anything you can do to make yourself stand out."

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: # of Letters of Rec
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 08:51:44 AM »
I think it's overkill if the additional recommendations don't add anything to your application(s);  If you have good reason to believe an additional recommendation will give adcomms a meaningful insight that they wouldn't already have gotten from your existing application, I say go for it.

murkydreamer

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 09:27:35 AM »
I originally sent out 3 recs with my applications (profs) and I'm going to send out 1 more rec (employer) to the places where I'm waitlisted or deferred.  I'd agree with the previous poster about making sure your additional recs add something extra to your application, instead of all of them saying the same thing.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 03:43:58 AM »
Since getting my deferred/waitlist letters in mid December, I've had 2 additional letters of rec written and sent. Is it overkill to go for a third? I'm following the standard of a personal statement every 3 weeks or so as well.
My gut says "overkill" regarding the 3rd letter of rec but my LSD sense says "anything you can do to make yourself stand out."

Hi!  I was just wondering what you meant by a personal statement every 3 weeks?  Do you actually compose a new statement and send it into your deferred school every 3 weeks or so!?  what kind of news are you reporting, and how long is it??
thanks!  gluck with the deferrals! :)

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 07:41:01 AM »

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 04:00:07 AM »
Hey CP (didn't quite know i should refer to you as coxless  :P) - thanx for the reply :) 
Did the school invite you to write these PS's?  I ask because I think each schools treat their deferrals differently.  I think one of my deferral letters said "feel free to send in anything which I felt was appropriate whereas the other school mentioned virutally nothing about sending in new things, much less a personal statement.  What's the rule of thumb here?  thanks!

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 04:01:07 AM »
Hey CP (didn't quite know i should refer to you as coxless  :P) - thanx for the reply :) 
Did the school invite you to write these PS's?  I ask because I think each schools treat their deferrals differently.  I think one of my deferral letters said "feel free to send in anything which I felt was appropriate whereas the other school mentioned virutally nothing about sending in new things, much less a personal statement.  What's the rule of thumb here?  thanks!

sorry about the grammar mishaps.  it's late  ::)

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 06:30:12 AM »
I can't recall which school asked for what but one of them gave the "any materials you feel that would aid the committee in reviewing your application would be welcomed" and the other didn't ask for anything.

From everyone I've talked to on LSD and beyond, there is the overwhelming consensus that silently waiting for acceptances following deferment/WL is just stupid. If the one school thinks I'm too pushy/showing too much initiative by telling them how interested I am, I think they can stick it. I'm in no way qualified to say what the rule of thumb is but that's how I'm approaching it.

BTW, coxless isn't dirty, just a rowing term. I think I should have rethought my LSD handle regardless.

jacy85

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 06:40:22 AM »
I'm thinking that sending a new "PS" every few weeks at this stage of the game is absolute overkill.

Sending some new stuff right off the bat is a great idea (like the "update" PS, you got dean's list, etc).  A new LOR is a good idea, but if it's just restates what they already have in your original LORs, it's absolutely a waste.  Unless it provides new info, it's not going to help.

And you might want to save that last "PS" for later on, maybe in mid April.  Most WL admits aren't going to come until after first deposits are due.  So sending something right after/around first deposit deadlines will be a big "refresher" of you and your file.  And I wouldn't make it a "PS", I would write just a letter, a page, maybe going on to a second, about what you've done this semester, and plans for after graduation.

Then, a couple weeks after deposits are due, start making phone calls.  Short and quick, saying you're WL, and you know deposits are due, and you're just wondering about any possible movement on the waitlist.  And keep calling every 2 weeks, unless they request that you wait until after second deposits or something.  Email the dean of admissions, letting them know what you've sent, and ask him/her if they recommend you doing anythign else (coming in and interviewing, sending in a writing sample from college, etc)

Its about being persistant in the right ways.  Just writing 2-3 more Personal Statements and sending in LORs that say nothing new isn't enough, and you need to time it right.  I think you've done what you can for right now.  You should wait until they're actually at a point to start pulling off the WL.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 08:40:34 AM »
jacy - thanx a lot of your advice.  you're probably right..  timing is everything...  guess i won't have to crank out brilliant writing until April then!  ;)

coxless - i'm such a dork.  not all too familiar with crew but now we all know that my mind's in the gutter ;)