Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlist...deferred...both??  (Read 935 times)

mexi-nate

• View Profile
    • Email
Waitlist...deferred...both??
« on: January 26, 2005, 09:49:47 AM »
I just got a letter informing me my application was reviewed and I have been put on a waitlist for further review in June.  Is this a standard waitlist comment, or is it a deferral until they can see the shape (LSAT/GPA) of their incoming class and evaluate how much I will bring it down (really poor LSAT)?  Just curious.

maricutie

Re: Waitlist...deferred...both??
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 10:31:33 AM »
This sounds like a waitlist, but I'm assuming that they will still have to consider the characteristics of the incoming class before making your decision.

CoxlessPair

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 02:08:56 PM »
June? That is one intense waitlist. I'm suprised they would tell you that they aren't looking at you again till then.
Air Force JAG Corps

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 04:25:23 PM »
I just got a letter informing me my application was reviewed and I have been put on a waitlist for further review in June.  Is this a standard waitlist comment, or is it a deferral until they can see the shape (LSAT/GPA) of their incoming class and evaluate how much I will bring it down (really poor LSAT)?  Just curious.

Not until June?  Wow!  That's a pretty long wait.  I would call & ask.  If they specifically used the word "waitlist" in the letter, you're on their waitlist, but if they said something that revolves around they have filled their seats for this year and will reconsider the application at a later time, then it's a deferral.  A deferred application is definitely better than a waitlist because for all intensive purposes, they want you, but there's isn't space in the class--they would "over admit" if they accepted you.

The waitlist is what the schools uses in order to fill seats if after they've received all their deposits from admitted people (both regular admissions and deferrals) and they still have seats they need to fill--they then go to their waitlist.  It's their last effort to fill seats for the school year....Some schools hardly ever go to their deferral or to their waitlist, while some schools use their waitlist rather more often than not.  I think the higher ranked the school, the less likely the school will use a waitlist...

Good luck.

Perversely yours,