Law School Discussion

Books that you are reading??

Re: Books that you are reading??
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2005, 06:31:40 PM »
The Creature from Jeckyll Island ... an excellent book for understanding global financial markets and how the Federal Reserve Bank has legalized a criminal banking cartel within our own country

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2005, 05:59:41 AM »
I have read -

Law School for DUmmies
              Slaying the Law School Dragon
              Planet Law School
              LS COnfidential
              Anatomy of a Lawsuit
              Law School without fear

Need to finish reading

Legal Writing and ANalysis

Favorite nightly summer read?

The Adventures of Captain Underpants read by my 10 year old.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2005, 06:06:23 AM »
The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Kidd
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

Next on the list: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

« Reply #83 on: July 13, 2005, 10:57:37 AM »
I'm reading One L even though I've been told not to, that it sucks, and that it is a waste of time.  It's somewhat entertaining so far, but I'm really only reading it because I'm waiting to receive my Summer Required Reading book from Syracuse ... Life on the Color Line.  After that, I'll probably knock out a few more of the books on the suggested list that accompanies the required book.  I work a lot, so I don't have a whole lot of time to sit down and read, but I figure I might as well get used to reading heavy loads, even if this stuff is much, much easier than anything I will lay my eyes on in a month!

« Reply #84 on: July 13, 2005, 11:53:02 AM »
Philosophy of Picking Books

I really did not want to get books that prepared me for the mechanics of law school.  I shied away from the fashionable "how to" books  since I am going to have 3 years for that.  I read books and tracks that would inspire my education and start getting me to ask questions. 
I picked up a bibliography list from a summer reading list in the George Washington and Georgetown Law web pages and started to read.

Reading Done

Abe Fortas                                                                by Laura Kalman
Empire's Law                                                             by Ronald Dworkin (300 out of 400 pages)
Guideon's Trumpet                                                    by Anthony Lewis
The 14th Amendment and the Bill of Rights              by Akhil Reed Amar
Brennan vs. Renhquist                                              by Peter Irons
The Supreme Court The Way it Was, The Way It Is     by William Rehnquist
The Majesty of The Law                                            by Sandra Day O'Connnor
The Common Law                                                     by Oliver Wendell Holmes  (70 out of 200 pages)
Taking Liberties: A Decade of Hard Cases                 by Alan Dershowitz
Letters to a Young Lawyer                                         by Alan Dershowitz
The Nature of the Judicial Process                             by Benjamin Cardoso
The Federalist Papers                                                by many  (First 40)
The Autobiography of Federick Douglass                  by Federick Douglass
Common Sense                                                         by Thomas Paine
The Law                                                                    by Frederick Bastiat

On Deck
Teen Legal Rights                                                     by Kathleen Hempelman
The Right to Protest: ACLU Guide to Free Expression
Concerning Dissent and Civil Disobedience             by Abe Fortas

Conclusion
For many of these books, I started to take notes and start perfecting my note taking style.  I realized that my undergrad style was for the birds and that I absorb more if I try to summarize the reading.  Given that I graduated undergrad 14 years ago, I really felt that I have ramped up quite a bit in terms of quality of comprehension and quantity of absorpion. If you want comments on any of these books, feel free to drop a line.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2005, 07:10:56 AM »
Isn't anybody else just reading for fun!?

LaneSwerver

« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2005, 07:12:53 AM »
Isn't anybody else just reading for fun!?

I re-read Hustler's Barely Legal Girls of Law yesterday.

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2005, 07:13:04 AM »
my thought exactly  ::)

I was reading the Loser's Club (forgot auther already)and Rachel's Holiday (Marian Keyes) but school got in the way.   :-\

LaneSwerver

« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2005, 07:13:37 AM »
my thought exactly  ::)

Oh, you've read it, too?

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2005, 07:15:40 AM »
thanks! nice timing  :D

i read it on the toilet