Law School Discussion

Books that you are reading??

Ambs

• View Profile
Re: Books that you are reading??
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2005, 11:09:34 AM »
I just got 1L and JD Jungle in the mail this week. I already read through the relevant stuff in JD Jungle and didn't find anything terribly enlightening. I'm really looking for some in depth preparation tips, not just one chapter on briefing. Anyone have any tips? They also talked about highlighting when briefing. Seems like you just want to find some consistent system to easily identify the different aspects of the case (facts, rulings, analysis, etc).

I just got done reading Gideon's Trumpet, which I thought was really interesting. It gave me a taste of legal terminology and thinking, which is definitely going to take some adjusting to in law school.

As to the discussion of how best to spend our time before school, I want to strike a balance between relaxing and doing fun things and also doing some prep to put my mind at ease. I will not be shelling out the $$ for a prep class, as I just think its unnecessary. I would rather spend $20 on some books off half.com and learn the rest in school like we're meant to do.

For fun reading: Time Traverler's Wife was fun, Devil Wears Prada was candy, I'm reading Portrait of a Lady right now which is great, and I just read Bonfire of the Vanities, which actually does have a big legal aspect to it as well.

yoshibengoshi

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2005, 07:04:36 AM »
Legal related:
"May It Please the Court" (Transcripts of 23 famous cases argued before the Supreme Court)

LaneSwerver

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2005, 07:05:55 AM »
Hustler's "Barely Legal Girls of Law"

carlsonjd

« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2005, 04:31:47 PM »
Hmmm...I'll have to check that one out.

« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2005, 08:03:22 AM »
Having a year to prepare for law school can turn you into a paranoid anal-retentive... also, working with three law students and a recent law grad provides lots of free resources/books... so, to that end, I've read, or am currently reading -

OneL
Bramble Bush
Introduction to Legal Reasoning
The West "Nutshell" book on every 1L subject
Law School Confidential
The Law School Confidential recommended study guide for each 1L subject
A buddy's CivPro and Contracts case book
A People's History of the Supreme Court
Starting Off Right in Law School
Acing Your First Year of Law School
Turow's Ultimate Punishment
The Common Law
Main Justice by McGee and Duffy
The Prosecutors by Delsohn
A number of fiction titles to mix things up

I've been told by many I'm an idiot and crazy and will be burned out on all of this waaaay before I go to school... however, I don't think so... I've been waiting a while to go, am excited about the law, and have a lot of free time... also, I'm not studying all of this, I'm just reading it... my retention is about 20%... however, my total out of pocket is significantly less than a law school prep course and I think I've gotten about the same amount of info as I would at one of those...

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2005, 08:32:19 AM »
I'm currently reading Why I'm not a Christian and Atonement. I haven't read that many law school prep books and  don't intend to bother until the summer.

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2005, 08:36:55 AM »
Should be reading:

LGB and LRB

Am reading:

Los Angeles

Abevigoda

• You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2005, 09:11:18 AM »
Just got Planet Law School II in the mail, I plan on diving in after I finish up Nabakov's Lolita.  It's going to be a hell of a shift in material.

Xony

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2005, 09:46:28 AM »
it's Nabokov actually :)

Abevigoda

• You've been Kittled!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2005, 10:20:59 AM »
Touche.