Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Someone please inform me about UC Hastings...  (Read 977 times)

larkin

• View Profile
Someone please inform me about UC Hastings...
« on: January 24, 2005, 09:35:35 PM »
any thoughts or info about hastings? rep in the area, facilities, students? also i'm pretty much interested in PI work.  any idea about that?  i'm from the east coast and would really like to move to the bay area.  is it worth it to pay out of state tuition?  please help this confused easterner in his attempts to escape the cold.

funny that i haven't even heard back from them yet, but just wondering about this stuff.  also would it be worth it to go there over, say, emory or william and mary?

any help woudl be great. thanks!

alphalyrae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Someone please inform me about UC Hastings...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 09:49:07 PM »
I understand it's a pretty decent school, if you're married to the idea of going to LS in the bay area and don't get into Boalt. I hear being located downtown has it's advantages when it comes to clinic and real world experience.

The problem is it's a "regional" law school located in the same region as Stanford and Boalt Hall. So there's a lot of competition and pressure to be at the top of the class because you're competing with grads from those schools for jobs.
3.81/172
In: Harvard, Boalt, Chicago, Columbia, Michigan, Penn
Waitlisted: Stanford
Rejected: Yale

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=alphalyrae

AubZamZam

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:19:17 PM »
Hastings' rep in California is very solid.  If that's ultimately where you want to be, I would definitely choose Hastings over Emory or William and Mary (or for that matter, any similarly ranked non-CA school).   People talk sh*t about the neighborhood, but it's really not that bad.  It's probably not where you'd want to live, but is a quick bus ride from many nice areas.  I hear that the facilities are not that great, however. 

As for the tuition issue- it is very easy to get in-state tuition in CA after one year.  Just make sure that you move to the state a full year before your 2L year is going to start, register your car, register to vote, etc.  Check the reqs with Hastings, but generally there are not barriers to establishing CA residency.

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:34:53 PM »
while i am certainly not married to the idea (at least not yet), i am fairly enamored by it.  the idea of being in downtown SF is a nice one, esp. if it would expand clinical opps. i'm in at william & mary and emory so far.  not sure if going to either of those over hastings would even help if i really do want to work/live in SF.  i have a feeling they wouldn't. 

i am beginning to think of hastings like i think of fordham.  both schools have to deal with t14s in their markets, and there is a sizable drop off, in terms of ranking, after each.  not sure if this likening is appropriate.

the tuition issue happens to be a fairly important one because i anticipate average PI work pay after LS, so debt will be a factor.  that info about CA residency is good news.

thanks for the info alphalyrae, and zamzam

come on everybody else show my thread some love...

JulesSF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 01:39:33 AM »
Ok I'll throw in my two cents...

I lived in the same neighborhood of hastings for a year...the environment can get a bit stressful. it's not especially dangerous per se, but the area is the epicenter for junkies, pros, and other homeless individuals, it just gets a bit sad/smelly after a while. security around campus can apparently be a bit spotty, but security in the dorms is apparently solid. parking...dream on. there are other very assesible, reasonable neighborhoods, but you will be spending a lot of time on campus.

That said, if you are looking to stay in N. Cal and especially the bay area, it is a fab place to be. Hastings suffers because there is no UG campus to give it national weight (ie. Princeton Law School, ha). Their PI, and IP for that matter are quite strong. They get a lot of great visiting profs, as most urban LS's do. It's also more difficult to get into than similarly ranked schools, (see again: PLS).

I think it was a fairly simple application, and if you have the $$ to spare it's worth applying while you mull it over.
166 / 3.5
He loves me: ATTENDING: GWU $$ (obvi)
He loves me not: NU, GULC, UVA, UCLA
He decides not to decide: U Mich (WL)
Preemptive dump: BC, UC Hastings, USC

AubZamZam

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 06:28:44 AM »
i'm in at william & mary and emory so far. not sure if going to either of those over hastings would even help if i really do want to work/live in SF. i have a feeling they wouldn't.

Your intuition is right, I think you'd in fact be worse off at Emory or W&M than Hastings.  Especially if you have never lived in the bay area before... it's kind of like it's own little world and employers like to see you have some connection to  it.  Also, I imagine that the PI/clinical opportunities would abound more in SF than in Williamsburg, though obviously Atlanta would be good too.  But overall, Hastings would be the top choice of those three.  You might also want to consider Davis, which is similarly ranked and where you could come out with less debt b /c of the lower COL.

I agree with Jules assessment of the neighborhood, but my point was more just that it's not "scary".  Re: parking, if you have a car, I recommend shelling out for a parking spot near your apartment.  I tried to get along without one and ended up paying out in tickets what I would have paid for a parking spot.  I'd live close to a MUNI line and take that to school rather than drive though.  (I guess this is a bit premature).

Just as an aside, I HIGHLY recommend the bay area in general.  It's beautiful and fun, people are nice.  I am on the East Coast now wishing I could go back!

larkin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 12:22:01 PM »
thanks for the info everyone.

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2005, 12:58:16 PM »
First, Hastings is a great school and highly respected in Cali.  A huge number of judges and at least one State SC Justice went there (who also happens to be the friendliest of the bunch). The neighborhood isn't as bad as some make it out to be. There are plenty homeless but more of the crazy-and-smelly variety, not the stab-you-in-the-neck-and-steal-your-wallet variety. I walk through this area almost every day and have never felt even remotly like I was in danger. Having said that, you'd be crazy to actually live there. I've lived in a few cities and SF is by far the most beautiful. You can live in a clean, fun area for virtually the same prices and enjoy everything the city has to offer. BTW, the city is only 7X7 and has one of hte best public transpo system in the country so living elsewhere is really not an inconvenience.   

JulesSF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »
I walk through this area almost every day and have never felt even remotly like I was in danger. Having said that, you'd be crazy to actually live there.    

I prefer misinformed  ;) and as I said before, not dangerous, just not especially representative of a truly gorgeous city...
166 / 3.5
He loves me: ATTENDING: GWU $$ (obvi)
He loves me not: NU, GULC, UVA, UCLA
He decides not to decide: U Mich (WL)
Preemptive dump: BC, UC Hastings, USC

HKrustofsky

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2005, 02:23:54 PM »
I walk through this area almost every day and have never felt even remotly like I was in danger. Having said that, you'd be crazy to actually live there.    

Present company excluded of course  ;)

Why don't you go elsewhere? Stuck in a lease?