Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: question for law school know it alls  (Read 787 times)

theaggiefan

• View Profile
question for law school know it alls
« on: January 24, 2005, 01:57:28 AM »
do the admissions people care how many hours you take per semester. for example, i had 18 hours of AP credit and also take one class every summer, so I am able to take 13 hours per fall/spring semester and graduate easily in four years. will this be frowned upon?

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: question for law school know it alls
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 04:00:28 AM »
Hey aggie-

I'm interested to know this too.  However, I think you might get more responses on the Applying to LS board, so I'm going to move this topic over there.

TLFKARG

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 04:32:59 AM »
do the admissions people care how many hours you take per semester. for example, i had 18 hours of AP credit and also take one class every summer, so I am able to take 13 hours per fall/spring semester and graduate easily in four years. will this be frowned upon?
I don't think so; it did not keep me from being accepted to my dream school.  I took heavy loads my first two years and had a significant bank of dual enrollment hours from high school, allowing me to graduate in four years and taking fairly light loads my last two semesters.  If anything, they are likely to recognize your good planning skills, as you will inevitably need to dedicate more time to your upper division courses.  Thus, 13 hours of upper division credit is probably akin to 18 hours of intro class credit.

Edster

• It'll be okay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2005, 10:44:16 AM »
No. Like RuskieGirl, I had lots of hours of AP and dual-enrollment credit in the bank, so I took only 110 hours at my degree-granting school, with only 7 in my final semester (special circumstances). My total number of credits is obviously way beyond what was required, though. This didn't keep me out anywhere, so far - I'm into several top 10 schools.

I do think it could hurt you more if your numbers are low, though, especially if you are sub-50th percentile in your class.

P.S. I recommend taking lots of interesting courses for fun - explore your options while in college.
EMC on LSN

Attending: Chicago
Accepted: Chicago ($), Columbia, NYU ($), UVA ($), Penn ($), Duke ($), Vanderbilt ($), Texas ($)
Waitlisted: Michigan (withdrawn)
Dings: Harvard, Yale and 4/4 graduate schools

mhkuang

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 11:56:40 AM »

I took no more than four courses per semester and graduated easily in four years.

No one cares about AP credits, that is for kiddies.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 01:11:18 PM »
As long as you take a full load your fine. School tend to want an explanation if you drop below full time. As far as I know most schools don't really care what sort of load you took, only what your GPA is.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 07:59:10 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. This past semester I took 2 CLEP (math and spanish) exams and earned 15 credits in order to graduate in December and it has not kept me from getting into schools. Also, I had a couple of semesters where I took only 12 credits and then I had a couple where I took 21 credits

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2005, 08:22:20 PM »
I think that as long as you keep full time status (12+ units per term), you will be fine.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.