Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: does anyone *really* want to go to law school? i mean, it's boring  (Read 3038 times)

spit

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: does anyone *really* want to go to law school? i mean, it's boring
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 09:28:00 PM »
i didn't know to what extent i would bored with the subject matter. usually i find everything interesting.

i'm not willing to dive into it anymore. i'm applying to two places instead of 12 now, and thinking it through. i love a good challenge too, and reading a lot, but having to borrow $150,000+ to go to law school, muddle through not-exactly-riveting material, for no guarantee of a job at the end.... i'm second thoughts indeed.

have you folks sat in on any classes yet, or visited any schools? it changed my opinion.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2005, 09:31:01 PM »
the thought of going to law school makes me nauseas

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2005, 09:53:56 PM »
As an English major, I have learned that I'm a nerd...  I love to spend hours in the library researching arcane topics.

Law school will not be torture for me- not having to work a "real" job for three years will be a piece of cake after teaching for three years!
"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 07:48:07 AM »
before you go to law school, spit, maybe first you should rinse.

twarga

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 08:01:02 AM »
Law is an occupation, just like any other.  I don't think anyone should just dive in without having a good idea of what the job entails.  If you'd rather be painting portraits or forecasting the weather, then law school is not for you.  Also, if merely the idea of going to law school makes you nauseous (and not in a good way  ;)), perhaps you should reconsider the time/$$ investment. 

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 08:42:15 AM »
Law is an occupation, just like any other.  I don't think anyone should just dive in without having a good idea of what the job entails.  If you'd rather be painting portraits or forecasting the weather, then law school is not for you.  Also, if merely the idea of going to law school makes you nauseous (and not in a good way  ;)), perhaps you should reconsider the time/$$ investment. 

Anyone with an artistic bent would rather be doing something creative for a living.  Reality, alas, is what it is.  The problem with a career in the arts or entertainment is that with all of the work in the world there's still a section of the ladder that is filled in by luck.  With something like law or medicine, although difficult, there is a definite path.  It's a tough one, but it's there, one rung after another.  Generally one ends up with a career that is more challenging and fulfilling than your average job, with greater rewards.

The argument could be made that someone could do "something" with writing or photography or art or whatever...but if you're a painter, for example, you're not going to get a lot of satisfaction out of doing the graphic design for Wendy's ads.  Some think it's better to have a pure hobby as opposed to a tainted career - do something totally different for a living, interesting in its own way.

But would I rather be a lawyer or a rock star?  What do you think.     

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2005, 08:51:01 AM »
julie give up:  which you rather be?

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2005, 02:16:36 PM »
julie give up:  which you rather be?

Lawyer, of course.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2005, 02:20:09 PM »
thank you.  coyote very kind, even if nuisance to ranchers.

swagger

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Swagger008
    • View Profile
    • LSN for stats
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2005, 02:51:11 PM »
Boredom is a highly underrated emotion.  It is better than fear or worry.  Not everything in life needs to be exciting.