Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: FAFSA--on campus v. off campus  (Read 3017 times)

ja13

• View Profile
FAFSA--on campus v. off campus
« on: January 23, 2005, 06:44:55 PM »
did a search and couldn't find an answer to this... which is "better" for aid prospects: putting 'on campus' or 'off campus' for housing plan on the FAFSA?

i saw in my search a comment about it being different depending on the school. is this true?

thanks.

maricutie

Re: FAFSA--on campus v. off campus
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2005, 10:17:42 AM »
Somewhat. Usually living "off-campus" is more expensive than living "on-campus," which means you'll get a bigger budget allocation. The only exception that comes to mind is berkeley, where (I think) the reverse is true. If you mark off campus and end up doing the other, worse case they'll reduce your budget, if they bother to check. If the reverse were true, then you'd probably have to keep bothering the financial aid office to up to your budget and provide some sort of documentation proving that you do, in fact, live off campus.

Just because your budget is increased, though, doesn't necesssarily mean more free money. They might just up the loans. But at least you'll have money on hand in the event you need it for something. 

ja13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 10:39:59 AM »
thank you. i have no idea which i'll be choosing, so i figured i might as well pick the one that would offer more loan money for now.

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 03:50:52 AM »
It is correct that you can change from "on-campus" on the FAFSA to "off-campus" later, or vice versa. I did this last year of undergrad. Im my case, I had to send a copy of my housing contract to the financial aid office along with a request to increase my financial aid award. This was done with no problem.

Maricute mentions that on-campus at berkeley is more expensive. I believe that this is also true at UCLA; At least this is true of undergrad, and from what I know about the housing situation in the area, should also be true of law/grad school. Check the financial budgets for the schools that you are applying to. However, it should not really be an issue, you should be able to get more loan eligibility if you switch to the more expensive option later.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.