Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Once you decide where you're going...  (Read 993 times)

guptroop

• View Profile
    • website
    • Email
Once you decide where you're going...
« on: January 23, 2005, 11:10:11 AM »
Is there a standard protocol for letting schools know that you have decided to decline their offer of admission?  What's the best way to do this (ie, letter, email, phone)?

Cheers,

Rishi
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=guptroopL

no man is my enemy,
my own hands imprison me;
u2
love rescue me

Javert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Time.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Rov47
    • View Profile
    • Spirit of Sisyphus
Re: Once you decide where you're going...
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 11:31:54 AM »
Most schools give you a response form with your acceptance materials that you can just mail back. I seriously doubt they'd accept something over email or the phone, due to the potential for mischief it creates.
Attending: U Texas

"The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination." -- Garak, "Improbable Cause", Deep Space Nine

maricutie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 11:39:41 AM »
yeah, just send off that little form in the little envelope they give you. I tried to email Penn to withdraw my app after they deferred me, but I got an email back saying something like "we're too busy to check our email." So I suggest mail :)

guptroop

• View Profile
    • website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 03:36:55 PM »
Interesting.  I don't see any of those return slip things in my admit materials.  Ah well...
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=guptroopL

no man is my enemy,
my own hands imprison me;
u2
love rescue me

dr_draino

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 03:38:43 PM »
Usually it's the same form as the deposit form...you can check off on "here's my money, I'm a comin'" or there's another check box that says "thanks but no thanks".

Interesting.  I don't see any of those return slip things in my admit materials.  Ah well...

desmo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 03:41:33 PM »
I'd be happy to personnaly call the Dean and the entire adcomm and take them to lunch to let htem know I will attend as soon as then send out my acceptance.

NYKnicks

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 04:26:01 PM »

They don't all have them.

wildcataz2004

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 11:10:28 PM »
I know this is kind of rude but I don't think I'm going to decline my offers- if the school doesn't have my deposit by the deadline date for it, it's pretty obvious I won't be going there. Why waste more time sending them a letter...

ilsox7

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 11:14:13 PM »
I know this is kind of rude but I don't think I'm going to decline my offers- if the school doesn't have my deposit by the deadline date for it, it's pretty obvious I won't be going there. Why waste more time sending them a letter...

Cuz it takes 5 minutes and is the professional thing to do.

ls77

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 11:25:43 PM »
It seems like the right thing to do because maybe that will open up some space for others who really want to get accepted at a particular school.   With most people sending out several applications, it must be hard for the schools to really know who will actually attend, but they have to assume that a certain percentage will. 

If you let them know you're not attending (because you chose to go elsewhere) then the spot you release might enable someone else to be chosen.

Seems fair and honest....  Wish everyone would do that...it would really help some of us out.