Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What do you weigh in your decisions?  (Read 851 times)

ILoveNY

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - lilstepho
    • View Profile
    • Email
What do you weigh in your decisions?
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:11:18 PM »
I am curious to see what you guys weigh most heavily when deciding where to apply AND where to go once you've been accepted (to more than one place, obviously).  What factors did/do you extensively research and what was most important to you (other than the school's ranking and average lsat/gpa .. I'm looking for specifics here!)?  I just think it would be interesting to see who emphasizes what ...

Location? Specific Programs?  Bar Passage Rate?  Faculty Reputation? Average Starting Salary? 

Syracuse it is!!!!! .. all the way from sunny southern Alabama ...

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
Re: What do you weigh in your decisions?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 10:14:35 PM »
I am curious to see what you guys weigh most heavily when deciding where to apply AND where to go once you've been accepted (to more than one place, obviously).  What factors did/do you extensively research and what was most important to you (other than the school's ranking and average lsat/gpa .. I'm looking for specifics here!)?  I just think it would be interesting to see who emphasizes what ...

Location? Specific Programs?  Bar Passage Rate?  Faculty Reputation? Average Starting Salary? 

How much money they're gonna give me, the guy/girl ratio, the school's stance on spanking and handcuffs.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

AubZamZam

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:26:00 PM »
Mostly location for me, both because of a significant other and because of my own personal preferences.  Being in the LA area is a high priority for me if I don't get into my dream schools (S, H or Boalt).  I am into USC, NYU, Gtown and Michigan but will probably choose USC above the last three despite the ranking differential.  Also $$ is a consideration- not just tuition but cost of living factors.  Having lived in NYC for the past few years and basically hemorrhaged money makes me reluctant to attend LS here.  Being able to live w/ my SO would also cut my debt wayyy down.

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:53:29 PM »
Russian - Where are you going to school?  We share the same sound, rigorous, and principled reasons for selecting the right school.  :D

NeverForever

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:59:52 PM »
For me it's all about three things: 1)Location 2)Overall reputation of the school in the legal profession 3)How much money they give me.

russian_concussion

• Sr. Citizen
  • Highjacker Extraordinaire
    • AOL Instant Messenger - agradon
    • View Profile
    • Get a Free IPod
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:04:58 PM »
Russian - Where are you going to school?  We share the same sound, rigorous, and principled reasons for selecting the right school.  :D

Haha so far it's between northeastern (suprmodels), bu(rich girls) and brooklyn(nyc girls). And I'm assuming the percentage of submissive bondage-loving girls is roughtly the same in all those schools.
161/3.53 (in CS, not that it matters)
Going to: Brooklyn 08/19

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:08:18 PM »
Money, bar passage rate, amount/quality of chicks on campus, and major bonus points to schools with good fball/bball programs........
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

Infoolio

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:38:20 PM »
I'd say rep/location are big.  $$$ is a bonus, though a good rep can erase scholarship money if it means 125 a year starting out.

I could live in a hellhole for a few years if it meant working anywhere :)

gentoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 11:45:01 PM »
1) location 2) average starting salary 3) employment rate 3) alumni network
Pending: Whittier (PT + FT)

drowles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 11:50:27 PM »
Best school (reputation, employment stats, bar passage rate, etc.) that I can get into.. Location dont mean shiznit to me.. Just lookin to get a good edjumacation..

ATTENDING... UGA.. GO DAWGS!!!
Accepted: UGA, GW PT, Tulane
Dinged:GMU PT/FT
Priority Waitlist: Gtown PT
Waitlist: BC, WUSTL, Emory
Applied: GMU PT/FT, GW PT, Gtown PT, Emory, UGA, BC, Tulane, WUSTL