Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine Law discussed on "Joey"  (Read 2479 times)

BigTex

Re: Pepperdine Law discussed on "Joey"
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2005, 10:01:06 PM »
Perhaps the joke had nothing to do with Pepperdine law school per se? At my high school, for some reason, many of the very very rich kids wanted to go to Pepperdine for their college education. I really don't know anything about Pepperdine, but the impression at my high school was that it was for rich under-achievers who wanted a swank lifestyle while sorta going to classes.

So, maybe they were intending the joke to play off people's preconception of the entire school in general and not the law school in particular? Seems more reasonable - i mean, what person not interested in law would know *what* the reputation of Pepperdine law school is.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 08:33:56 AM »
My girlfriend told me about it.  Some character asks another character where she went to Law School, and upon hearing "Pepperdine" the first character makes a crack about how she probably doesn't know law/rule blah blah.

How's THAT for an exciting retelling!? 

There's more. Later on, another character hears that she went to Pepperdine, and kind of makes a derogatory "that explains it" comment. But let's keep this in perspective people, I mean, it is "Joey;" a cute show, but not exactly USNWR.

and let's keep in mind that usnwr not exactly nude volleyball monthly (which julie buy for insightful articles).

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 08:36:04 AM »
I only recently heard about this episode. I am a current law student at Pepperdine, where I think we receive an outstanding and underrated education. Below is the letter I wrote to NBC in response to the show:

Dear Sir or Madam,
 I recently heard and read about what was said about the Pepperdine School of Law on a recent episode of "Joey." I am a law student at Pepperdine, and I am also earning a masters degree in ADR at Pepperdine, which has the number one ranked program in ADR (meaning Alternative Dispute Resolution such as mediation which was dramatized in that same episode). We consistently beat Harvard in the rankings of our ADR program. I simply wanted to express my discontent with your using Pepperdine as an example of a bad law school. The school has only been around for about 30 years, and has already made it into the top 100 law schools in the country, a ranking based largely on reputation which takes time to develop. Pepperdine attracts top tier students from across the nation. I went to Colgate University, and the majority of my friends went to similar schools such as Stanford, Penn, Harvard, and Yale. Overall, I think your choice was unfounded, and I think you owe the school, the current students, and the alumni base an apology.

Sincerely,

Christopher Jones,
3L at Pepperdine School of Law

you got punctuation problems;  you sure you not actually in missing comma program?  julie sure the writers of this comedy show were moved by your letter.