Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pepperdine Law discussed on "Joey"  (Read 2555 times)

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
Pepperdine Law discussed on "Joey"
« on: January 21, 2005, 02:23:07 PM »
Not in a good way ... Did anyone watch it?
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

Boehmer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to Bull Mountain
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pepperdine Law discussed on "Joey"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 05:22:21 PM »
No, but I'm interest in what they said.
LSAT: 164 CGPA: 3.68 LSN
Accepted: CU, Santa Clara, USD
Waitlisted: Pepperdine, USC (Deferred: ED)
Rejected: UCLA

AgentRHE

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 10:01:24 PM »
My girlfriend told me about it.  Some character asks another character where she went to Law School, and upon hearing "Pepperdine" the first character makes a crack about how she probably doesn't know law/rule blah blah.

How's THAT for an exciting retelling!? 
Attending: Wisconsin

legalkitty

• Sr. Citizen
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2005, 01:32:23 PM »
My girlfriend told me about it.  Some character asks another character where she went to Law School, and upon hearing "Pepperdine" the first character makes a crack about how she probably doesn't know law/rule blah blah.

How's THAT for an exciting retelling!? 

There's more. Later on, another character hears that she went to Pepperdine, and kind of makes a derogatory "that explains it" comment. But let's keep this in perspective people, I mean, it is "Joey;" a cute show, but not exactly USNWR.
Attending: Widener PA!!
http://www.aldf.org

Suttongate

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2005, 04:21:36 PM »
I only recently heard about this episode.  I am a current law student at Pepperdine, where I think we receive an outstanding and underrated education.  Below is the letter I wrote to NBC in response to the show:

Dear Sir or Madam,
      I recently heard and read about what was said about the Pepperdine School of Law on a recent episode of "Joey."  I am a law student at Pepperdine, and I am also earning a masters degree in ADR at Pepperdine, which has the number one ranked program in ADR (meaning Alternative Dispute Resolution such as mediation which was dramatized in that same episode).  We consistently beat Harvard in the rankings of our ADR program.  I simply wanted to express my discontent with your using Pepperdine as an example of a bad law school.  The school has only been around for about 30 years, and has already made it into the top 100 law schools in the country, a ranking based largely on reputation which takes time to develop.  Pepperdine attracts top tier students from across the nation.  I went to Colgate University, and the majority of my friends went to similar schools such as Stanford, Penn, Harvard, and Yale.  Overall, I think your choice was unfounded, and I think you owe the school, the current students, and the alumni base an apology.

Sincerely,

Christopher Jones,
3L at Pepperdine School of Law

Paperback Writer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2005, 06:28:16 PM »
I saw the episode, and I was wondering whether or not Pepperdine was taking that hit because it is a Christian school.  Pepperdine is a red spot in a sea of blue.

HURLEY- L.S.D.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2005, 06:57:38 PM »
I respect "suttongate" for sending that letter, and it shows true forethought.  Law-school reputations and rankings are very fragile and important, and small things like this "Joey incident" can add up to realizable consequences.

PR is a big deal, and if I were a top-level Pepperdine administrator I'd start making efforts to speak to the writers of Joey and seek to right this wrong.  After all, do a bunch of Pepperdine students want to be referred to by members of the next generation as "that person who graduated from the school they mentioned on 'Joey'"? 

twelvehundred

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2005, 08:06:01 PM »
Pepperdine is a red spot in a sea of blue.

A diamond in the rough.

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 08:13:05 PM »
I am a law student at Pepperdine, and I am also earning a masters degree in ADR at Pepperdine, which has the number one ranked program in ADR (meaning Alternative Dispute Resolution such as mediation which was dramatized in that same episode).  We consistently beat Harvard in the rankings of our ADR program. 

It is ironic that when she was made fun of, the Pepperdine lawyer was conducting a mediation. In fact, Pepperdine has the 2nd highest ranked ADR program in the country based on USNWR.

Note she ultimately won the mediation, but not because of anything she did. She was painted as being pretty much a useless idiot throughout the episode. She won because Joey deceptively tricked the other side into an admission.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

Braden

• Sr. Citizen
  • World's biggest jerk.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 08:47:23 PM »
I am sure your letter will change the world.

I only recently heard about this episode.  I am a current law student at Pepperdine, where I think we receive an outstanding and underrated education.  Below is the letter I wrote to NBC in response to the show:

Dear Sir or Madam,
      I recently heard and read about what was said about the Pepperdine School of Law on a recent episode of "Joey."  I am a law student at Pepperdine, and I am also earning a masters degree in ADR at Pepperdine, which has the number one ranked program in ADR (meaning Alternative Dispute Resolution such as mediation which was dramatized in that same episode).  We consistently beat Harvard in the rankings of our ADR program.  I simply wanted to express my discontent with your using Pepperdine as an example of a bad law school.  The school has only been around for about 30 years, and has already made it into the top 100 law schools in the country, a ranking based largely on reputation which takes time to develop.  Pepperdine attracts top tier students from across the nation.  I went to Colgate University, and the majority of my friends went to similar schools such as Stanford, Penn, Harvard, and Yale.  Overall, I think your choice was unfounded, and I think you owe the school, the current students, and the alumni base an apology.

Sincerely,

Christopher Jones,
3L at Pepperdine School of Law

3.6 (Mech Engr/Math/Econ (minor)), (167 and 179), Lots of ECs, and a guy with long blonde hair(that should make me an URM):
In:Michigan!, DUKE
Out:Yale, Harvard
Waitlist: Penn