TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Over/under on admits?
« Reply #100 on: February 12, 2005, 02:14:47 AM »
And we've officially come full circle.

Best hand of Hold 'Em you've ever played, eh Pookster?

indeed.   :D

rich, i take issue with betting the under.  i wouldn't put money on this either way, but i really don't even want to take you up on it for pride either, because i just feel mean saying, "nah, i don't think you'll get into 5 schools."  :(

btw, you make a good point about withdrawing WLs.  and i bet if you get WLed but don't care about that school anymore, you won't communicate with them much, and then you won't get in anyway.

okay, if you're betting for money, you'll have to allow for the possibility of a push and have WLs be 0.5.

« Reply #101 on: February 12, 2005, 12:35:51 PM »
rich, i take issue with betting the under.  i wouldn't put money on this either way, but i really don't even want to take you up on it for pride either, because i just feel mean saying, "nah, i don't think you'll get into 5 schools."  :(

I understand, and thanks - is there anyone on LSD cruel enough to bet against me (even with  non-monetary stakes)? Or have I set the bar too low - should I put it at 5 and take the over, and then see who bites?

« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2005, 02:35:48 PM »
This is even more fun than I thought.  Now all I can concentrate on at work are the statistical odds of me getting into each school I applied to.  I did a fairly accurate job of guesstimating my LSAT performance immediately after each exam.  After I got my scores, it was cool to look back at posts from a month earlier and see how accurate my predictions were.  So for entertainment purposes, I provide the following predictions for my chances at each school:

Of Penn, Texas, Virginia, Michigan, and North Carolina I will be accepted at between 0 and 2

Of Northwestern: 0-1

Of Illinois, Emory, and Minnesota: 1-2

Of Wake, George Mason, Georgia, and Ohio State: 2-4

Of Indiana and Washington/St. Louis: 2

So my overall worst/best cases are: 5-11 acceptances.  I predict the actual number will fall at the statistical midpoint: 8.  I can't wait to come back and look at this post in 3 months.

I can't believe it's only been a month since I wrote this.  It feels like an eternity has passed.  Looking back, it seems like my predictions were uncanny.   I have yet to be accepted at any of the 5 schools where I predicted 0-2 admits.  I was pleased to make it into Northwestern, which I felt could have gone either way.  Of Illinois, Emory, and Minnesota I predicted 1-2 admits, and I've already received 2.  Of Wake, Mason, Georgia, and OSU I predicted 2-4 admits and I think once I hear back from Georgia, I'll end up with 4.  I predicted that I would definitely get into Indiana and Washington St. Louis, and that's halfway true.  When I wrote this last month I wasn't confident at all, but it's such a relief to see my predictions hold up. 

« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2005, 06:07:16 PM »
General Observations:

TDPookie1: Indeed, you look very cute...although the whole Yoda thing is messing with my head.

Burghblast:  Your biceps need more definition and you should not be flexing to the whole world with that size of an arm (or lack thereof)

Bravelaxer:  You should be spending your time on some other messageboard.  Am I right or right that you havent even taken the real LSAT yet...only practice tests?  What year are you going to law school?

That is all for now.

Mr. T needs to hit the books and prep for the 1L

« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2005, 06:30:59 PM »
Burghblast:  Your biceps need more definition and you should not be flexing to the whole world with that size of an arm (or lack thereof)

Actually, I think I've come a long way since I weighed 160, but your feedback is appreciated.

Edit: I have added an extra bicep day to my weekly routine.  "After" pictures to come shortly.

« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2005, 10:49:46 PM »
Looking back, my predictions were uncanny:

This is even more fun than I thought.  Now all I can concentrate on at work are the statistical odds of me getting into each school I applied to.  I did a fairly accurate job of guesstimating my LSAT performance immediately after each exam.  After I got my scores, it was cool to look back at posts from a month earlier and see how accurate my predictions were.  So for entertainment purposes, I provide the following predictions for my chances at each school:

Of Penn, Texas, Virginia, Michigan, and North Carolina I will be accepted at between 0 and 2

Penn, Michigan: Out.  Texas, Virginia, NC: Pending.  Looks like I will be right on the money here at 0 or 1.

Of Northwestern: 0-1

Check.

Of Illinois, Emory, and Minnesota: 1-2

Got lucky, in at 3.

Of Wake, George Mason, Georgia, and Ohio State: 2-4

Check.

Of Indiana and Washington/St. Louis: 2

May not hit this one, still pending at WUSTL.

So my overall worst/best cases are: 5-11 acceptances.  I predict the actual number will fall at the statistical midpoint: 8.  I can't wait to come back and
look at this post in 3 months.

I'm one above my prediction of 8 admits.  How did everyone else do relative to how they expected 3 months ago?

ilsox7

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2005, 10:55:24 PM »
Still waiting on 8 of my 14.  Only weird thing so far was the Pitt WL, but it's a moot point now with IU.

« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2005, 08:56:16 AM »
5 is going to be tough. Assuming a WL counts as .5, I'm sticking to my prediction, but I'll need a Harvard WL to get there. Not easy.