Law School Discussion

Some feedback requested...

lauralynne

• '02 PSU Alum
    • View Profile
    • Email
Some feedback requested...
« on: January 21, 2005, 09:03:31 AM »
I was awarded a full scholarship at Duquesne in Pittsburgh.  Great reputation in the area, but 3rd tier.  Also accepted at Pitt (assuming I'll get some money...thinking about $8K), but in top tier.  Also has good reputation in Pittsburgh.  Have applied other places (ie GW) and would love to go if accepted.  Would it be suicide to go to GW and incur all of that debt when someone is willing to pay for my whole education here (i'll have to sell my house, find an apt. in arlington that accepts large dogs...etc.)?

Not sure where I want to live after LS.  Wouldn't be too upset if it has to be Pittsburgh (i grew up here).

shadowcreeper

• LSD Cheerleader
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Some feedback requested...
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 09:16:30 AM »
That is a really rough situation, I could see why you would be confused as to which law school to choose. If you are worried about having debt, going to Duquesne for free would be great for you. If you want to come out and go into Biglaw, you might not want to go to Duquesne because it is a 3rd tier. Pit or GW would give you more opportunities in that respect. If you want to go into a small firm, or government type work then the tier probably will not matter as much. In my opinion, if you are not looking for biglaw, I would take the free law school.

Since you have options, you might want to think about whether or not moving and going through the hassle of relocating is worth it to you. Do you like the area you live in? Would you be happy staying there?

I think you need to ask yourself what your long term goals are, and work from there. Good luck...I am sure you will succeed in whichever path you choose!

mobie

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 09:28:42 AM »
Take GW, honestly, if you have that option...I am from Pit and I know several students who live in Pit now who graduated from Pitt and Duquesne and they cannot find jobs...literally some are going on 6-12 months now with no prospects.  Another friend, went to 3rd tier in Seattle and graduated near top of her class, NOTHING.  No job and it's been over 6 months for her as well.  My advice:  go to the best law school you can.  I live in VA now; it's not difficult to find a place to live that will accept dogs, it's a great area here, and you will have infinitely more career prospects if you go to GW, if you are accepted.  If you do go to 2nd or 3rd tier, you might want to consider going in an area where you'd like to live...and Pittsburgh's job market is going nowhere fast.  Just something to keep in mind!  I just personally know too many people right now who are struggling to find jobs and they have debt from 2nd and 3rd tier law as well...so I just don't want to advise you in a way that might give you hardships later.  Good luck!!

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 10:07:41 AM »
This is weird, because I had the impression Pitt's employment stats were pretty good.  Then again, it all depends on what kind of law and where these people want to practice, their performance in school, etc.  I guess I would rely on the stats over anecdotal evidence, but that may just be because I have no chance at schools ranked much higher than Pitt! That said, there can be no argument that on stats or otherwise, it is easier to get a job out of GW.  I just don't think it is true that Pitt or Duquesne degrees are as crippling, for most people, as domer's post suggests.

ilsox7

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 10:14:20 AM »
This is weird, because I had the impression Pitt's employment stats were pretty good.  Then again, it all depends on what kind of law and where these people want to practice, their performance in school, etc.  I guess I would rely on the stats over anecdotal evidence, but that may just be because I have no chance at schools ranked much higher than Pitt! That said, there can be no argument that on stats or otherwise, it is easier to get a job out of GW.  I just don't think it is true that Pitt or Duquesne degrees are as crippling, for most people, as domer's post suggests.

You're dead on.  Everyone has anecdotal evidence, whether it be good or bad, but stats tell the truth.  Remember, Pitt is a Tier 1 school.  As with almost every law school...get the grades and the opportunities follow.

onepoint

• three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 10:15:46 AM »
and don't forget that little "who you know" thing.  it's absolutely invaluable, and from what i understand you'll have all sorts of opportunities to meet people.  it's what you do once you meet then that counts.

lauralynne: i assume you received a phone call from the dean of admissions at duquesne to let you know of your acceptance.  did he discuss scholarship info with you then?  or was that info included in the mail you received?  i got a phone call this morning but no scholarship info was discussed.  maybe i'm just wishfully thinking that the info will come in the mail :)

lauralynne

• '02 PSU Alum
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:34:01 AM »
and don't forget that little "who you know" thing.  it's absolutely invaluable, and from what i understand you'll have all sorts of opportunities to meet people.  it's what you do once you meet then that counts.

lauralynne: i assume you received a phone call from the dean of admissions at duquesne to let you know of your acceptance.  did he discuss scholarship info with you then?  or was that info included in the mail you received?  i got a phone call this morning but no scholarship info was discussed.  maybe i'm just wishfully thinking that the info will come in the mail :)

no phone call on either.  both letters, one about a week after the first.  check my lsn account for exact dates...congrats on the acceptance

onepoint

• three down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:44:37 AM »
no phone call on either. both letters, one about a week after the first. check my lsn account for exact dates...congrats on the acceptance
ugh who knows how this stuff works, i give up trying to understand it.

at least the financial info came in the letter, which should be on its way.

and thank you for the congrats, the same to you on your acceptances :)

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2005, 07:03:52 AM »
If you don't mind staying in Pittsburgh, I'd take the 8K from Pitt.  The tuition is relatively cheap already @ 18.5K/yr for PA residents.  You also have ties to the city already which the firms look at.  I would have definately taken Pitt if I didn't get into Case Western on a binding ED.  I also grew up here and I plan on living working here after I graduate.  If you plan on leaving the city, GW degree would probably travel better.