Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "in" crowd has special priveleges on this board  (Read 10410 times)

BigTex

The "in" crowd has special priveleges on this board
« on: January 21, 2005, 10:48:16 AM »
Apparently, if you are a member of the "in" crowd (lexy, pookie, and company) you can have any discussion in a thread you don't like cut out, removed, and placed into another thread:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,22020.msg318534.html#msg318534

Of course, off topic rants happen all the time and nothing is done about it. But if you're special (i.e. friends with the right people on this board) you can remove all dissent and relegate it to the corner.

The sad thing is, the dissent expressed above was about the most cordial and amicable dissent possible. No cursing. No flaming. Just one person expressing an opinion. Others disagreeing. And generally the discussion remained upbeat. I enjoyed it. Very sad to see the moderators selectively using their power for those in their same clique.

strouse

Re: The "in" crowd has special priveleges on this board
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 11:09:19 AM »
Something to think about Tex: is the "in Crowd" really in.

I'll let you decide.

BigTex

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 11:12:39 AM »

I'll let you decide.

However you define it, they obviously have the power to cut-and-past all dissenting posts out of their threads. They do not perform these cut-and-paste actions out of a general policy applied to all threads. They only appear to take action when dissent is expressed against "one of their own".

Whether you call that an "in crowd" or not, they have the ability to use their moderating power to make others shut up if they don't like what they hear and they're not afraid to capriciously wield that power.

strouse

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 11:14:20 AM »

I'll let you decide.

However you define it, they obviously have the power to cut-and-past all dissenting posts out of their threads. They do not perform these cut-and-paste actions out of a general policy applied to all threads. They only appear to take action when dissent is expressed against "one of their own".

Whether you call that an "in crowd" or not, they have the ability to use their moderating power to make others shut up if they don't like what they hear and they're not afraid to capriciously wield that power.

OK, but i think a more apropriate term for these people are "the man" and "the man's cronies".  Don't let the man get you down.  ;)

newy

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 11:15:51 AM »
Wow, I didn't realize that someone split your comment out of the s-t-a-n-f-o-r-d thread.  That's ridiculous.  I would be mad too, if I were you, or if I cared.

sordomudo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 11:17:16 AM »
Come on, guys. Whether they do or not, is it really a huge deal? They can have all the special LSD priveleges they want, if that's the case, and I'll go on posting and go on living.

strouse

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 11:18:10 AM »
You know, its kind of like high school really.  I mean, the Yearbook club could keep you out of the candid shots too.  :D

newy

• Sr. Citizen
  • HLS 2008
    • View Profile
    • newy@lsn
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 11:19:34 AM »
Come on, guys. Whether they do or not, is it really a huge deal? They can have all the special LSD priveleges they want, if that's the case, and I'll go on posting and go on living.

I'll go on living... and while I do that, I will point out when things like this happen.  IMO, we should all be aware.

strouse

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 11:19:48 AM »

I agree its no big deal, cliques form in any type of forum where humans interact with one another.  That's life, just ignore them.

BigTex

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 11:23:09 AM »

It was obviously a big enough deal for THEM to cut out the dissent in the first place. I don't think i'm really upping the ante by calling them on it.