Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The "in" crowd has special priveleges on this board  (Read 10572 times)

I hear America singing

• Sr. Citizen
  • How do you do?
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Weblog!
Re: The "in" crowd has special priveleges on this board
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2005, 01:52:49 PM »
I think moderators should be able to execute people at will.

"I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

Visit my weblog!  www.sweetblessedfreedom.blogs pot.com

SleepyGuyYawn

« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2005, 03:09:28 PM »
If you did actually list a link to where you redirected the thread (and didn't just delete something) then that's probably fine.

One thing that drives me crazy is that I'd swear that entire threads are sometimes just moved or deleted and I don't know where they go.  Even on the "off topic" boards.  This bugs me (although I'm making no claim to know who's responsible -- or if this is just all in my head).

dr_draino

« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2005, 03:11:31 PM »
There is always a new post stating the thread or part of the thread has been moved and it is ALWAYS moved to the hate board.

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2005, 01:45:06 AM »
I readily agree that the moderators on the board tend to pick favorites and will go out of their way to congratulate certain people on acceptances or console certain people after a rejection, while completely ignoring everyone else- include the active users they are not friends with.

But I don't care about that, because I'm older than some of the moderators on this board, and don't have any obligation to them aside from keeping my comments civilized, relevant to the threads and devoid of illicit material. The moderators may go to better schools than I will wind up going to, but in the big scheme of things, their level of superiority to me, be it in authority or intelligence will remain fairly minimal.

This message will likely place me in a bad light with the powers that be, but who cares? The truth will set you free.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2005, 02:22:07 AM »
I readily agree that the moderators on the board tend to pick favorites and will go out of their way to congratulate certain people on acceptances or console certain people after a rejection, while completely ignoring everyone else- include the active users they are not friends with.

how is that different than anyone else?  have you congratulated *anyone* on an acceptance?  and have you congratulated *everyone*?  because kgd and i are moderators, should we not be allowed to congratulate the people we "e-know" better, or be obligated to go into *every* acceptance thread congratulating "e-strangers" or people accepted to schools to which we haven't applied?  that's ridiculous.  and going out of our way to do so?  how long does it take to click on an acceptance thread and type out a congrats?  more than 20 seconds?  is that really going out of one's way?

and now that i'm finally posting on this thread, i want to back up what kgd has said so far.  if any of the moderators (kgd, andrew, me, or any future moderators) misses something you deem offensive, feel free to report it.  we don't see everything, but everything is seen by someone.  if you see something offensive and don't report it, don't blame someone else for not doing anything about it. 

we don't delete *anything*.  at worst, stuff gets moved to the hate board (when it is offensive).  at best, it gets moved to the correct/relevant board (when things are posted in the wrong area).  i was under the impression that even if we move a thread to a different board, it'll still show up in your unread replies anyway, so you should still be able to find it.  (the one exception to the deleting of threads came when some threads and posts were lost when LSD moved to a new server, but that was through the fault of no one.)

please remember that we're still users on this board, even as moderators.  i don't think i act any differently on this board now than i did before, with the exception that now i can move the things that always bothered me before (the two categories described above).  and i don't see how being part of tex's alleged "in crowd" has made anything different in terms of moderation of the boards.  this is all way too conspiracy theory-ish.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

A.J

« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2005, 02:23:13 AM »
Pookie I have a hang nail and I am sad.  :(

Will you consol me?

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 24, 2005, 03:17:47 AM »
I congratulate quite a few people I have no acquaintance with whatsoever. Just because I know that it feels great for them to get into a school they really wanted to attend. It's nice to be one of the first people who say "Good for you" when something like that happens. Granted, not *everybody* that gets accepted, but thats mainly because I haven't been following other people's successes until recently.

But, that's just me. Again, I don't care what you do. I am merely voicing agreement with Big Tex's assessment of some of the folks on this board.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: January 24, 2005, 03:24:54 AM »
but what you're saying isn't limited to moderators.  and i don't limit mine to the people i know either, though i tend to read the ones that are relevant to me more often, either because i "e-know" the person who started the thread or because it's a school i applied to or because it has a catchier title than just the name of the school (if it's clever, like "INN @ MINN!" or it says something about it being a first acceptance or whatever).  i don't see anything wrong with that.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Dolcejn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2005, 03:32:05 AM »
I'm going to stick my nose in here and say, before pookie knew me at all, she was really quick to congratulate me on acceptances/LSAT stuff.  Furthermore, with regard to "ignoring active users" she's not friends with, well, if that's true, I do the same thing.  That is, if I've noticed a poster isn't friendly towards me, or towards others, it doesn't exactly make me want to stick my head out in the line of fire and post on his or her thread.  I don't think Pookie has the same problem, actually - I'm just too non-confrontational, when it comes right down to it.

Then again, I just woke up, so take all of this for what it's worth!

:)
HLS

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2005, 03:34:02 AM »
People are fairly defensive about this. Still more evidence of a hierarchy in the works.  Something tells me LSD needs a PR guy to handle complaints about alleged favoritism. That would be a nice gig for me since I need experience in order to break into the PR world.