Law School Discussion

s-t-a-n-f-o-r-d

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
Re: s-t-a-n-f-o-r-d
« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2005, 08:06:04 PM »
I'm with Ninja here.  Don't get me wrong, I read the 250 essay and thought it was wonderful - unique, witty, well-written.  Still, I suspect the totality of lexy's application led the schools to give her the nod.  I don't mean to diminish the importance of it, but I'm not convinced an essay alone gets you into a top law school.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2005, 08:27:45 PM »
unless i misread something, i don't think anyone is saying that her essays alone got her into these great schools, or even in large part.  lexy acknowledged all the different factors that she think made her apps good (which was everything from ECs to WE to great schools to LORs to writing).  we're just all commenting on her writing, i would imagine, because we haven't read her LORs, and the school thing is far less subjective and less personal.  (it's more of a compliment to say she's a good writer than it is to say, "wow, you went to two great schools.")

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2005, 10:53:59 PM »
i can't speak for ninja, but i'm sorry to offend, it wasn't my intention.  let me clarify.  my interpretation of the events so far has been: lexy's essay are fantastic (i don't disagree); her ability to write well played a significant role in her success in the law school admissions process.  i don't mean to discourage the round of complements going around.  i, for one, don't have a problem with it; it's well deserved.  still, i felt it was worthwhile to reiterate the notion that while the essays carry a lot of weight, it's important to consider all of the other factors that made lexy's applications impossible to turn down.  that's all.

TDPookie1

• the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2005, 01:50:19 AM »
oh, i see what you're saying.  yeah, i'd agree with that; good point.  (and i wasn't offended.)