Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Best Law School - everyone's opinion  (Read 1853 times)

Jackson Smith

• View Profile
Re: Best Law School - everyone's opinion
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2005, 07:33:51 PM »
St. Louis University is the best on that list.
3.5/160
In: UK($$), UArkansas($$), UPitt, UAkron($$)
Out: UDub, ND
Pending: Too many to list

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2005, 09:13:32 PM »
People were talking about this at work last week.

I read that some of the Dickinson board members are suing Penn State over the proposed split, and that there are allegations that Penn State is simply feeding off Dickinson's accreditation.

My gut feeling is that Penn State will build a new facility in State College and start moving faculty members over there. At some point, it just isn't going to be cost effective to maintain two campuses, and Dickinson will be cut off.

I'd say go to a school that is respected in its geographic area and cost effective.

I read an article claiming that Penn State is acquiring funds to build and develop a law school at their main campus (University Park); additionally, the university pledged a final 10million dollars in support to Penn State Dickinson School of Law--after that, that school is on its own. Thus, the future of Penn State Dickinson is rather bleak.

BeesKnees

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2005, 10:12:45 PM »
I have heard equal parts that this is true as well as untrue.  I have followed as I did apply, and have not heard yet, but even if i don't get in, i don't think i will go.

Stateofbeasley - have to ask where that name came from?

Are you a Beasley?

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2005, 12:47:49 AM »
The name 'stateofbeasley' is a bad parody of the places in exam fact patterns I've encountered at Temple Law.

The fact patterns usually take place in the state of Conwell (Russell Conwell being the founder of Temple), the state of Temple, or some other place/person related to the university. Since Temple law school is named after James Beasley, I decided to call my account 'stateofbeasley'.

I am not related to the family of James Beasley or any other Beasley family!

Perversely

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2005, 01:02:32 AM »
In your opinoin, which is the best school from this list. (pickins are slim)

1.) Penn State
2.) Michigan State
3.) Valpo
4.) Mississippi College
5.) St Louis Univ
6.) Texas Wesleyan
7.) Florida Costal

the one you like the most & the one with most $$$.  assuming that all these schools "do" what you want them to do, and you'll learn the same stuff, i say go with your gutt.  visit the 2 schools that peek your interest the most and you'll know immediately after your visit.  then, tell all the others, thanks, but no thanks...

lanen

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2005, 08:18:48 PM »
Penn State
165/3.81
In:  Temple (4,500 per year), Loyola of Chicago (15k per year), American, Fordham  & Villanova
Out:  Georgetown
Pending: George Washington, Penn, BC,  & BU

jg983

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2005, 10:06:46 PM »
I read "Penn State" as "Penn" and "MSU" as "U of Mich.," so I guess I'm not much help ... but I would go with Penn State, probably. It's at the top of the list, and looks to be rising in the rankings.

kilroy55

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Mad Rambling by Travis
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 10:30:47 PM »
First of all, Penn State Dickinson is the 5th oldest law school in the country.  It was founded in 1834 as Dickinson College of Law.  It abopted the Penn State formally in 2000.  The issue of the two campuses has been resolved by the institutions.  There will be two campuses, one in Carlisle and one at College Station.  They will both be under one dean, and one board of regents.  Penn State has agreed not to move the Carlisle campus for at least 10 years, and they will fund massive renovations to the Carlisle campus.