Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: So LSAC does in fact count A+ as 4.33 ??  (Read 3817 times)

DaBoo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So LSAC does in fact count A+ as 4.33 ??
« on: May 02, 2004, 04:29:33 PM »
Yes.
Sometimes we must interfere. When human [...] dignity is in jeopardy, national borders and sensitivities become irrelevant. Whenever men or women are persecuted because of their race, religion, or political views, that place must-at that moment-become the center of the universe."
- Wiesel

Vicki11NYR

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2004, 04:00:45 PM »
That's terribly unfair...

At my university the highest you can get is as A, but we do have plus/minus grades as well.  We just don't have an A+.  If we did, most of my As would've been A+s (I even had Professors tell me I got an A+ in the course and give me A+s on assignments, because they don't realize that we stop at A.  Also, where I work on campus, faculty computer services, we often get calls from Professors who want to input an A+ for a grade but realize they can't).

Oh well.  I'm sure that when evaluating potential students, Law Schools look at the grading policies as well.
Stats: 3.96/174

Accepted: HLS, CLS, NYU, UChicago ($$$), UPenn, Duke, UVA ($$$), GULC ($$$)
Pending: YLS, Cornell

LSN Account: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Vicki11NYR

nathanielmark

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 04:02:15 PM »
that is clearly an irrational policy.  it makes for an uneven playing field and is unnecessary.  i have to wonder about LSAC sometimes.

clora

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 08:42:41 PM »
Does that mean that an A- gets averaged in lower than an A?

twilght68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2004, 12:13:29 AM »
A- is a 3.7

ruskiegirl

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2004, 01:52:53 AM »
My school gives pluses and minuses, but it doesn't give A+'s.  Doesn't that suck?

lexylit

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2004, 09:15:35 PM »
what? dude i thought ALL schools gave pluses/minuses and none gave A plus. not fair =/
if you were extra-special at my school yuo got a citation which was a little asterisk on your transcript  :P i dont lsac really gives a flying f*ck about my asterisks.

Moogle

• Sr. Citizen
  • LSAT 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 09:08:22 PM »
My school doesn't give out A+ either.  I believe this is a complete disadvantage for people like us.  As of right now, I should have 5 A+'s (my school does disclose the percentage received but only give out letter grades), which would make a major difference come admissions time, especially if I do below my expectations on the LSAT.

And, I think my GPA is gonna take a hit since my school compute A- to be 3.7 while LSDAS calculates it to be 3.67.  Grrrr!
When in doubt on the LSAT, always choose F as the answer.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 12:36:05 AM »
Ruskie:

Same here, and this really pisses me off because I went back to school at the age of 38, started with a 1.997 GPA and I know for a fact that if my school used A+'s I would have at least 6 of them.  I know this because I scored higher than the points possible through extra credit type stuff you can do if you fininsh your exam quickly.  The very last course I took I received an A, but my midterm score was 100/100, I had to keep a rather lengty journal during the class, that was graded an A+.  I even got my paper back the night of the final, A+, no numbering for that paper either.  There were three people in the class who had A's, and did not have to take the final. Unless we really wanted a lower grade as the professor put it. 

1. Have many of you scored so highly that your professor did not require you to take the final exam?

2.  I think this A+ policy can be changed.  It's not hard to just count all A's as A's regardless of the + .  i don't mind the A-
When you get to be my age, you have access to people who have the power to change things, and this stupid little policy of LSAC is a no brainer.  It should be changed.  All of you who got A+'s should not complain.  We are now on a more even playing field.  I am going to work on this starting this Monday.  Somebody who has talked to the LSAC people, please give me a number you have that is a direct line, so I don't waste the time dialing through prompts.
I swear I will fix this, maybe not for this admission cycle probably, but for 2006, I swear it will be in place.  But I will still try as hard as I can to do something before you guys get your 2005 apps out.  Trust me, I can do this. Those of you who think this should be addressed in an addendum, then for that same reason, those who got A+'s should add an addendum that their school gave out A+'s.  Not gonna do that are ya?
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

M2

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 03:04:04 AM »
Why not change your school so that they give A+s?
Shouldn't an A+ count more than an A??? it is an A-PLUS, just like a B+ counts more than a B...