Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Atlanta vs. Dallas  (Read 2983 times)

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Atlanta vs. Dallas
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 11:38:05 AM »
Dude, Dallas didnt even make the playoffs.

HTH

True, but the Cowboys has also won 5 Super Bowls........

...and when driving into town there isnt a huge retarded sign proclaiming "Welcome to Atlanta, home of the Atlanta Falcons, 1998 NFC Champions"

.....this is a sure sign your city sucks as far as professional sports are concerned

Oh, and Dallas rules, Atlanta blows  ;)
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 12:06:14 PM »
Live in the now, man.  Wake up and smell the losing.

TexasTiger14

• Sr. Citizen
  • War Eagle!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - burgamy14
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2005, 12:35:19 PM »
Live in the now, man. Wake up and smell the losing.

Okay, so how are the Hawks doing?  ;)
Texas Tech Law Class of '08

dcdjr23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2005, 01:07:56 PM »

Exactly!  I'm an NBA fan.  If I were picking between the cities based on their sports teams, Dallas would easily win.
Attending: SMU  :=)

Coyote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2005, 02:51:11 PM »

Low.

Shoes

• AOL Instant Messenger - HeeledShoes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2005, 04:32:24 PM »
Good info Coyote. 

And TexasTiger, if you're going to Buckhead - nickname Thughead - no wonder you don't like ATL.  I don't think it's fair for someone to make a judgment about the city as a whole when they don't actually live there.  Noone who lives in ATL goes to Buckhead anyways.

I'm not into sports, but I know ATL has professional football, basketball,  hockey, baseball, soccer and I think indoor football teams so there's always something to do.  Plus, ATL has far better concert venues and attracts more musical genres.

But the real question is what are you looking for in a city???

dcdjr23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2005, 05:11:35 PM »
Good info Coyote. 

And TexasTiger, if you're going to Buckhead - nickname Thughead - no wonder you don't like ATL.  I don't think it's fair for someone to make a judgment about the city as a whole when they don't actually live there.  Noone who lives in ATL goes to Buckhead anyways.

I'm not into sports, but I know ATL has professional football, basketball,  hockey, baseball, soccer and I think indoor football teams so there's always something to do.  Plus, ATL has far better concert venues and attracts more musical genres.

But the real question is what are you looking for in a city???

I think the things that are most important to me are:

-career prospects
-affordability
-safe neighborhoods (since I have a family)
-warm weather (I currently live in central Illinois.  Both Dallas and Atlanta would be much warmer)
-proximity to family (neither are very close, although Atlanta is a little closer)
-things to do

Both cities are going to be far better than where I'm at now.  I'm just looking for something solid that says "Dallas is the answer" or "Atlanta is the answer"...  So far, I think I could be content in either city.
Attending: SMU  :=)

Shoes

• AOL Instant Messenger - HeeledShoes
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2005, 06:01:42 PM »
I can't really give you info on the career prospects since I have yet to graduate and look for a job in the legal field.  I know there are a lot of big companies in ATL, as Coyote mentioned, and I didn't anyone who had trouble finding a job.  Not like that's a concrete answer, but it's as much as I know.

As for safety, I was a single female living in the city and I never once felt unsafe.  If you're going to Geogia State I probably wouldn't recommend living too close to the school.  And then the question is how important a yard is to you.  Not too many nicer homes near Georgia State - a lot of great condos, especially in midtown.  Most are a bit pricey.  But if you don't mind commuting a bit, there are so many great areas and a lot of them quite affordable.  Cobb county (Kennesaw and some parts of Marietta) is a great area for kids and families.  Good schools, too.  But this is if you're willing to commute a bit.  Paulding county has really low property tax which is attractive, but it's a fairly long commute. 

Are you looking for homes, apartments or condos? 

As for things to do... infinite possibilities.  I was talking to one of my best friends who is from Dallas and we were comparing things to do in ATL v. Dallas and from our conversation ATL was the winner.  That's especially true in the music arena.  Seems like you had better love country music in Dallas.  And judging from our conversation there seemed to be more lounges and not just bars in ATL.  What I mean is a pseudo-bar where you can actually sit and talk with others.  One of my favorites is Compound that just opened up last spring.  www.compoundatl.com  It's great because there's live music in the outside club, a non-smoking club and then there's a 3rd club where it's smoking.  It's like 3 clubs in one!  Actually there's a 4th one, too, but I've only been there once for a party - you have to rent it.

And since you have kids, you can't beat Piedmont Park (not too far from Georgia State.)  And since you're from up north you might even feel at home in the outdoor ice skating rink they put up in Centennial Park every winter.  I don't have kids, but I did Big Brothers Big Sisters when I lived there and there were so many kid's fairs, shows and events to choose from. 

Does that answer some of your questions / concerns?

mdawg23

• View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2005, 11:18:05 AM »

I saw the UGA-GT game on tv, Georgia's "rabid" college football fans were notoriously absent due to a little rain.......that's pretty weak. Hell, we had a sellout 2 days after a hurricane destroyed half the state.....

The reason the fans started leaving before the game was over was because the Georgia Tech game is no big deal to UGA; we generally kill them every year.  The score was 53-7 last time I bothered going.  If it had been a game against a real opponent, like Tennessee, Florida, or Auburn, you can bet Sanford Stadium would've been standing room only.

By the way, How in the world do you get from Auburn to Atlanta in ONE hour??
In: UGA ($), Florida, NOTRE DAME! ($$), Washington & Lee, Illinois ($$$), Emory ($$$)
Waitlist: Vanderbilt
Out: Georgetown
Still Waiting:UNC

A.J

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2005, 11:28:18 AM »
ATLANTA WILL WIN TODAY

(I hope)  ;D