Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Re: Transcripts submitted to LSAC  (Read 3195 times)

zpops

• Sr. Citizen
  • Going to NYU in the fall! 3.99/175
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zp0ps
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Rant
    • Email
Re: Transcripts submitted to LSAC
« on: May 02, 2004, 04:23:32 PM »
That's great news, younglady!!!

Here is another question (for anyone who can deliberate):)

Does the LSAC average in grades for courses taken AFTER graduation?  I am scheduled to graduate this summer, but I was thinking of taking a couple of classes during the fall semester (at another college) in hopes to get my GPA up.

If LSAC does not count courses that are taken after graduation, do you think it's a wise idea to postpone the graduation date and take some courses while still being undergrad?

Thanks!

P.S. I'm starting to love this forum  :D

If you do so many contrived things to bring your gpa up, then I think it will show on your app.  If you're going to postpone graduation, then make it so you can pick up a minor or something, don't just take random classes.
www.thedigitalrant.com - A site for discussions on books, movies, video games and other forms of entertainment.  We're just starting out, so stop on by, if you have the chance.

zhanchik

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:25:32 PM »
Thank you Anti_Ivy  :)

zhanchik

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 04:42:21 PM »
zpops, thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it.

On the other hand, why would that fact that I am trying to bring my GPA up would look like a bad thing for the Admissions Committee?  Won't it look like I have made up my mind and set a straight course for something that I want to do?

Anybody else, fell free to comment.

runnin_skeerd

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2004, 02:53:41 PM »
The LSDAS report that is sent to requesting law schools will refect two UGPA figures:  Degree Granting GPA, and cumulative GPA.  These two numbers are shown side-by-side on the report.  When law schools calculate your admissions index, most if not all, will use the cumulative GPA and your LSAT score to reach this index.

You must submit transcripts from EVERY school that you have attended since leaving high school.  This includes comm. colleges and other institutions where you may have taken a class or two just for kicks.  If you have any doubt about whether a transcript should be submitted, e-mail LSAC and they will let you know.  They replied to my question within just a few hours.

All of your transcripts will be evaluted and included into your cumulative GPA by LSDAS.  This number may be lower than the GPA that you graduated with  >:(  but that's the way it's done.

To everyone, myself included, who is taking (or took) the 06/14 LSAT, BEST OF LUCK!

NYBound05

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 09:01:58 PM »

You must submit transcripts from EVERY school that you have attended since leaving high school.  This includes comm. colleges and other institutions where you may have taken a class or two just for kicks. 

Actually, LSDAS requires you to include ALL transcripts.  This includes college courses you may have taken while in high school as well.

This really sucks for people who took college courses (i.e. in the summer at a community college), but didn't take the class seriously because they were, say, 16 friggin years old, and ultimately did poorly in the class.  Does anyone know how someone could get around doing this?  By "get around," I mean to ask if anyone knows how an individuals cumulative GPA won't be ruined because of this situation?  This is the case with my boyfriend, who has a 3.7 GPA, but failed a class he took at a JC when he was 15 or 16 because just he stopped going and never withdrew.  Would you guys assume that law schools look down upon situations of this type, or do they generally understand that someone's GPA that was lowered by a class they took as a high school kid should be looked at more approvingly than the cumulative GPA itself depicts?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 03:31:05 PM »
If I was him, and he took it when he was 16, I wouldnt' include it.  It wasn't taken while working toward an undergraduate degree, it didn't transfer anywhere for credit, I'd just ignore it.

Granted, this *technically* is against the rules, but the odds that they'll notice are extremely slim.