Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: .  (Read 7891 times)

BigTex

Re: Well-researched article on blacks and law school performance
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 01:36:59 PM »
Let me assure you that no one becomes a software architect without being a good programmer first.  I can't even believe I had to point that out.

The problem is that you equate "good" with "fast and error free". That's retarded. There's lots of error free spaghetti code that can be cranked out really fast.

Have you ever even worked as a professional software developer?

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
  • Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NVinoVeritasChi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2005, 01:44:29 PM »
The most coherent thinker I have ever heard is Alan Keyes, who is black. The amount of raw intelligence radiating from his forehead is formidable.

ah...now it's all beginning to make sense.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 01:47:04 PM »
Getting back on topic though. Superiorlobe- why the interest in "blacks and law student performance"?

Clearly this is an issue of some concern in the academy today and that article that I began the thread with is at least intelligent and competent.  The more informed people are on the issue the better.  That's the extent of my interest.  The most coherent thinker I have ever heard is Alan Keyes, who is black.  The amount of raw intelligence radiating from his forehead is formidable.

Has Alan Keyes said anything about blacks and their law school performance?
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 01:48:29 PM »
not so fast.  that you find Alan Keyes the most coherent thinker you've ever heard says a lot, whether or not you agree with him.

InVinoVeritas

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2005, 01:55:37 PM »
Indeed, Bill Clinton and Robert McNamara are bright by many standards.

But about Alan Keyes, I'd guess that you tend to view things in mostly black and white terms.(I mean this metaphorically, pardon the pun with regards to the subject of the thread.)

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2005, 02:04:53 PM »
Perhaps you'd be stunned by our intellect  ::) if you pick up some books by some black authors, professors etc..
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2005, 02:07:39 PM »
The majority of my friends either had your scores or higher, I'll tell you that much.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2005, 02:14:34 PM »
The majority of my friends either had your scores or higher, I'll tell you that much.

And I once met George Bush.

Both facts are irrelevant and you are dodging the question.

Good for you. I do not believe that race determines LSAT scores. I do however believe that a lot of blacks do not take the prep courses that are out there for various reasons.

Ninja

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2005, 02:31:18 PM »
I have to agree with Lobe in his argument that there is a relation between LSAT performance and performance as a lawyer.  The LSAT measures speed, accuracy and endurance in skills needed for law school.  These are all skills that will help a lawyer to succeed.  What law school you attend plays a large part in determining your initial market value, and your LSAT primarily determines what law school you can attend, so your initial worth as a lawyer depends at least in part on your LSAT.  This is just how the industry works.  You can come up with theories about what makes a good lawyer, but if lawyer A has lots of people that want to pay him lots of money to do legal work, while lawyer B has a few people that want to pay him some money to do legal work, A is probably the better lawyer.

maricutie

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2005, 03:06:30 PM »
I have to agree with Lobe in his argument that there is a relation between LSAT performance and performance as a lawyer.  The LSAT measures speed, accuracy and endurance in skills needed for law school.  These are all skills that will help a lawyer to succeed.  What law school you attend plays a large part in determining your initial market value, and your LSAT primarily determines what law school you can attend, so your initial worth as a lawyer depends at least in part on your LSAT.  This is just how the industry works.  You can come up with theories about what makes a good lawyer, but if lawyer A has lots of people that want to pay him lots of money to do legal work, while lawyer B has a few people that want to pay him some money to do legal work, A is probably the better lawyer.

But people want to pay A lots of money over B primarily because of what school A went to, not because of his LSAT. This aside, we're talking about being a good lawyer, not getting paid more than the next one. In making this argument, one would assume that we'd have to hold the choice of law school contant.   Simplified: if two people got into georgetown (or X law school), one with a 170 and one with a 160, who would be the better lawyer? My argument is that there are simply too many variables that are much different than anything on the LSAT and that, at least in part, are involved in being a good lawyer. My only experience comes from now, working at a legal aid org, a  year ago, when I was a researcher at a law firm, and a couple years back, when I intered at the dept of state. The end.