Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ISO: Casca  (Read 671 times)

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
ISO: Casca
« on: January 20, 2005, 12:27:50 PM »
Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain.  While dieting can help reduce the amount of weight gained while taking such antidepressants, some weight gain is unlikely to be preventable.

The information above most strongly supports which one of the following:

C)  At least some patients taking antidepressant drugs gain weight as a result of taking them.

It's the "unlikely" that's throwing me off...  Seems to me it means that there's a possility of not gaining weight and that the answer is, therefore, not stong enough for a "Must Be True".

Any input?

WoeIsMe

Re: LR Question
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 12:45:07 PM »

yea, i hate these guys..... here's my take:

'some weight gain' means at least 1 person has gained weight.  whenever there is a some or most, it means it has actually happened, unlike a conditional if A then B.  im not a philosophy person, so I don't know the correct terminology (existential import?).. but basically it's not an abstract rule or principle.. it's an actual occurrance.

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2005, 01:14:34 PM »
Thanks for your response.

The way I see it, "unlikely" modifies "some", so it's not an actual "some" yet.  I've got a feeling there's a formal logic chain we're supposed to be drawing, and then be able to make that deduction.

metropolitans

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 01:36:17 PM »
I don't think you need a diagram.  It definitely tests formal logic. "Most" means 1-99, so the first sentence, hypothetically, can say that 99 people out of 100 gains weight from antidepresents.  The second statement says that dieting can negate this relationship but "some" or "at least 1" must always gain weight.

So even if 98 people can use antidepresents and not gain weight, the second sentence assures that at least one must always gain weight no matter what. Hence choice C for the MBT question.

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:53:29 PM »
I don't think you need a diagram.  It definitely tests formal logic. "Most" means 1-99, so the first sentence, hypothetically, can say that 99 people out of 100 gains weight from antidepresents.  The second statement says that dieting can negate this relationship but "some" or "at least 1" must always gain weight.

So even if 98 people can use antidepresents and not gain weight, the second sentence assures that at least one must always gain weight no matter what. Hence choice C for the MBT question.

Call me crazy, but I think "unlikely" is the key.  "Some" refers to weight gain within an individual, so I'm just treating it as a non-formal logic "some" (if that's possible).

Some weight gain is unlikely to be preventable
Some weight gain is likely to be not-preventable
Some weight gain -M-> Not preventable

Deduction:  Some weight gain SOME Not preventable

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: ISO: Casca
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 03:09:17 PM »
Casca,

As LSD's resident smart guy, do you have any input on this question?

theo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Fine surname
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 03:23:40 PM »
Most antidepressant drugs cause weight gain.  While dieting can help reduce the amount of weight gained while taking such antidepressants, some weight gain is unlikely to be preventable.

The information above most strongly supports which one of the following:

C)  At least some patients taking antidepressant drugs gain weight as a result of taking them.

It's the "unlikely" that's throwing me off...  Seems to me it means that there's a possility of not gaining weight and that the answer is, therefore, not stong enough for a "Must Be True".

Any input?

You're on the money.  This would be an incorrect answer choice if the question stem asked what "must be true".

"some weight gain is unlikely to be preventable" allows for the possibility that through a concerted, universal effort, or by universal administration of some drug beyond mere dieting, no one at all would gain any weight.  

But we're just looking for what merely "most strongly supports" the answer choice.

ps. what exam date/section/number is this from?
quid leges sine moribus vanae proficiunt?

Question

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 03:47:30 PM »
Thanks  :)

Preptest #36 (Dec. '01), Section 1, Question 4