Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most biased (racist, politicalist, religiousist ... ) schools  (Read 7806 times)

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • tea baggers, unite! screw u.s.a.!
    • View Profile
Re: Most biased (racist, politicalist, religiousist ... ) schools
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 08:41:11 PM »
ok, julie give up.  why?

Rachelb1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2005, 11:20:37 PM »
Well, if your mind is made up that CARDOZO is "too Jewish" and a non-Jew would be uncomfortable there, then there really is no point in trying to tell you otherwise.

Yes, it is a part of Yeshiva University and yes the school and library are closed on Saturday.  Yes, you will see male students wearing yarmulkes.  However, on my visits there, I also saw African American, Asian, and Hispanic students there.  There are ethnic student groups at the law school and everyone gets along.

I have friends of all ethnicities but Cardozo is my dream school precisely because it is a Jewish school and I wont be penalized for religious absences.  True, one isn't supposed to be penalized for that at any school, but in the real world, it's another story.

So does my wanting to go to a school where I will be comfortable with policies that matter to me make me a racist?   People like to associate with others who share their same cultural or ethnic background.  That's true among all ethnicities.  I dont see it as racist.  Racist is hating someone just because of the color of their skin, their national origin, or ethnic background. 

Nice thing about going to a Jewish school is LOTS OF DAYS OFF in the fall.

qccepted Rutgers-EWR, Touro ($$)
pending, SUNY Buffalo, Hamline, CUNY
W/l      nowhere
denied   Cardozo

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 11:23:17 PM »
see, goody, sometimes lightning strikes.

DOWNY

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 11:27:45 PM »
But how the #@!* do a bunch of PRELAW (that is, have not attended any of the law schools they'd be labelling as "racist", "religious", or "liberal") know with any degree of certainty?

Perhaps they went to undergrad at the school.

Well, I go to UF undergrad, but I wouldn't posit the theory that the law school is full of superficial drunken sluts and fratboys obsessed with football just because the undergrad is.

I should have gone to UF.

Gummo

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2005, 11:31:18 PM »
But how the #@!* do a bunch of PRELAW (that is, have not attended any of the law schools they'd be labelling as "racist", "religious", or "liberal") know with any degree of certainty?

Perhaps they went to undergrad at the school.

Well, I go to UF undergrad, but I wouldn't posit the theory that the law school is full of superficial drunken sluts and fratboys obsessed with football just because the undergrad is.

I should have gone to UF.

You probably would've enjoyed it, I think.

Although I hear the drunken sluts at FSU have even less self-respect than the ones here.

DOWNY

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2005, 11:36:01 PM »
HAHA. Sweet.

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2005, 12:43:10 AM »
Well, if your mind is made up that CARDOZO is "too Jewish" and a non-Jew would be uncomfortable there, then there really is no point in trying to tell you otherwise.

Yes, it is a part of Yeshiva University and yes the school and library are closed on Saturday.  Yes, you will see male students wearing yarmulkes.  However, on my visits there, I also saw African American, Asian, and Hispanic students there.  There are ethnic student groups at the law school and everyone gets along.

I have friends of all ethnicities but Cardozo is my dream school precisely because it is a Jewish school and I wont be penalized for religious absences.  True, one isn't supposed to be penalized for that at any school, but in the real world, it's another story.

So does my wanting to go to a school where I will be comfortable with policies that matter to me make me a racist?   People like to associate with others who share their same cultural or ethnic background.  That's true among all ethnicities.  I dont see it as racist.  Racist is hating someone just because of the color of their skin, their national origin, or ethnic background. 

Nice thing about going to a Jewish school is LOTS OF DAYS OFF in the fall.

Thats the whole point of this thread. Everyone should go where they are comfortable. Good for you that you were smart enough to find your comfort school.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

amelus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2005, 06:01:43 AM »
whereas at most good law schools you will be exposed to a variety of people from diverse backgrounds it is unlikely you will find any significant number of religious jews (there simply aren't enough to go around ;)).  cardozo will have more than any other.  they still will be a small minority.  i specify religious jews because the overall jewish presence there may also be a bit larger than other schools, but i doubt much more than most top schools on the east coast (or west coast).  it is hardly going to seem like it is a jewish school where, if you're not jewish, you will feel uncomfortable.  you'll just have off for holidays you didnt know existed and find the library closed on saturday.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2005, 06:44:09 AM »
Thats the whole point of this thread. Everyone should go where they are comfortable. Good for you that you were smart enough to find your comfort school.

hey, that the spirit, goody!

julie figure you going to school that have most fashionable students, or maybe most tattletales.  or may you want one of those mostly-white schools in mostly-while area?  (but let's not discuss aa.)

twarga

« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2005, 06:44:28 AM »
hey, julie know:  let's talk fashion!

Hey Julie, I found my green outfit to match yours.   ;)  Mine cute and practical!