Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most biased (racist, politicalist, religiousist ... ) schools  (Read 8209 times)

goodadvice (account resigned)

• Sr. Citizen
  • Resigned until the riff-raff are removed
    • View Profile
Most biased (racist, politicalist, religiousist ... ) schools
« on: January 19, 2005, 05:55:13 PM »
Which schools are inherently the most "ist" ? For example,

Maybe Notre Dame is heavily Catholic and might be an uncomfortable environment for a secular Protestant or Jewish student.

There might be some southern school which is extremely racist and would not be a comfortable environment for a black student.

Maybe Washington & Lee is male dominated and would be an uncomfortable environment for a progressive feminist.

Maybe Cardozo-Yeshiva is heavily Jewish and might be an uncomfortable environment for an Arab or Christian student.

Maybe Berkley is super liberal and would be an uncomfortable environment for a conservative student.

(I'm not saying any of the above is true. I've never been to the schools and these are unsubstantiated examples.)

I think such a list would be very helpful. It would help students pick schools where they would feel at home and avoid schools where they would be uncomfortable. I think its a more helpful and useful use of our time to prepare such lists, than to over-argue affirmative action.

Please stay on topic, simply provide the school and what ist it is. Please do not turn this into another AA debate.
I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Most biased (racist, politicalist, religiousist ... ) schools
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 06:03:50 PM »
Omigosh, are you serious?  Just reading your examples makes me uncomfortable!

Are you that unworldly and naive? Yes, lets stick people where they're uncomfortable and possibly even harassed, thats a great idea!

I've resigned from the board due to intolerably harassing and verbally abusive riff-raff on this board.

Gummo

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 06:08:11 PM »
Omigosh, are you serious?  Just reading your examples makes me uncomfortable!

Are you that unworldly and naive? Yes, lets stick people where they're uncomfortable and possibly even harassed, thats a great idea!

From reading your "unsubstantiated guesses", I might watch who I'm calling "unworldly and naive"...

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 06:09:14 PM »
Please stay on topic, simply provide the school and what ist it is.

sejul

• Sr. Citizen
  • I bow to your feathered hair, JM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 06:10:24 PM »
I think a lot of schools have "ist" reputations, but from what I've honestly seen/read/experienced, these are often reputations perpetuated by law school applicants, rather than actually being true indicators of a school’s environment.  I think that by the time we all head to law school, we're old enough to understand and accept diversity, and regardless of where you choose to go to school, there is going to be an outlet for your beliefs.  In law school, as in undergrad in most cases, you should go to the school that you feel will provide you with the best education and opportunities to succeed.  Overanalyzing a school’s “reputation” only serves to further unfair stereotypes, and perhaps make someone second-guess their decision to go somewhere he or she might otherwise have a great experience.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 06:13:08 PM »

If anyone else wants to get on their soap-box, please first review the following definition.

hy·poc·ri·sy    ( P )  n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies

The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

An act or instance of such falseness.

An expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction [syn: lip service]

Insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have

Gummo

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 06:14:46 PM »

If anyone else wants to get on their soap-box, please first review the following definition.

hy·poc·ri·sy    ( P )  n. pl. hy·poc·ri·sies

The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.

An act or instance of such falseness.

An expression of agreement that is not supported by real conviction [syn: lip service]

Insincerity by virtue of pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not really have

Your username is i·ron·ic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 06:16:57 PM »
Heads up, goodadvice.  There are going to be obnoxious/bigoted/racist/classist people everywhere. 

Yes and I'm sure such people are perfectly evenly distributed amongst the schools. In fact, the LSAC has a program, such that if one schools gets one too many bigots, they transfer them to another school!

Seriously, unlike your (possibly hypocritical) soapbox nonsense, such a list would actually be helpful to applicants. Since you're not able to stay on topic, please move on to another thread.

twarga

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2005, 06:31:15 PM »
I was a naive Catholic girl with very little exposure to anything other than Christianity.  I grew up not knowing any ethnic kids (small white town), or non-Christian kids.  When I went to college, my UG school had a large Jewish population; my roommate was Jewish and so was my boyfriend.  I learned a lot about this religion and although I never considered converting, I gained a great degree of respect for it.  Later, when I joined the AF, I made some awesome, lifelong friends (who happen to be white, black, hispanic, and Asian).  Thank God I didn't make the decision where to go to school and whether to join the military based on how many people would look, speak, think, and pray like me.  That would be so boring.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 06:42:36 PM »
... you seem to have a knack for controversial threads.  Threads that are at times so unbelievably offensive, I question whether you are being truly serious when you pose some of your questions ....

Nice, when you get your behind kicked on substance, try to attack the person on completely unrelated issues. Pathetic.

Being told that there is racism in the world (as if you didn't know), or that some people are into grooming and fashion can be hurtful. But thats not what these threads are about so please stay on topic.

Such a list would be very helpful to applicants. I'm sure every year applicants naively go to schools where they are uncomfortable, harassed and don't do as well as their potential.