Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Most biased (racist, politicalist, religiousist ... ) schools  (Read 8465 times)

WoeIsMe

Re: Most biased (racist, politicalist, religiousist ... ) schools
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2005, 04:02:53 PM »
heh. grasshopper...
where's everyone thinking about going next year...racist and all.

whotsomotta U.... didn't you get the brochure?

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2005, 05:06:43 PM »
heh. grasshopper...
where's everyone thinking about going next year...racist and all.

whotsomotta U.... didn't you get the brochure?

wise choice.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2005, 01:26:45 PM »
This thread is officially dead. Why do I even try. Why.

Why do you...

Golden Bears

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2005, 06:03:54 PM »
For what it is worth, I am currently an UG at Berkeley,and it is not as  liberal as one might think.  In fact I have met a substantial amount of very politically conservative people so I guess that just shows that it is problematic to peg a certain school as being especially racist, liberal, etc.  In all fairness to goodadvice, I was concerned about the political orientation of Berkeley when I first started there, but it has turned out to be a very good experience for me.  Moreover, I have found that extremists of any kind are really marginal in number.

nika22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2005, 11:46:08 PM »
don't quite understand why there is such a stigma surrounding judgments and generalizations- even those who claim they don't make judgments place a moral judgment on those who do (ie. you are  narrowminded, a bad person,don't have a girlfriend, etc)

judgments in and of themselves are not bad (aren't they necessary for making decisions?) and with regard to law schools...why bother marketing a specific image, whether through brochures, mission statements, etc, if didn't want people to make a specific judgment about the school?

at any rate...

notre dame- went there for undergrad, conservative, catholic, chapels in every dorm; always exceptions to the rule, but for the most part conservative atmosphere, the law school prides itself on ethics

chicago- friend graduated from the law school, she says that although the school is famed as conservative, the atmosphere is much more moderate among the students/faculty

yale- remember reading in a pre-law book 'if you want to study sociology, go to yale'

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 22, 2005, 06:44:29 PM »
Giffy is H I L A R I O U S.

But as a 1L who attends Cardozo and as a African American Woman you would think I would be able to contribute. But the premise under which this thread was started is so idiotic I can't even take it seriously.

Goodadvice, if u really want to know what the culture is like at particular schools, why don't u to some research on the particular schools in which you are interested. Furthermore, you would think that it would be most helpful to ask students who actually attend these schools instead of pre-law students (no offense to anyone) who don't attend the institutions and can only make assumptions or guesses based upon what they heard instead of what they have experienced.

But attempting to label schools isn't the way to go, it's not healthy, positive, or helpful.

HTH

And feel free to label this comment as offensive b/c I called the premise idiotic. It won't change the fact that it is in fact, IDIOTIC.

Thanks  ;D and ya the presmise is idiotic. Very very idiotic.