Law School Discussion

$$$ at GW

Re: $$$ at GW
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2005, 07:39:17 PM »
I just got a letter today notifying me of the 25,000/yr presidential merit scholarship. Has anyone else received that much, or am I just crazy?

jimmyp

• 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2005, 06:21:59 AM »
I just got a letter today notifying me of the 25,000/yr presidential merit scholarship. Has anyone else received that much, or am I just crazy?

Non-response:
We have virtually the same numbers.  Did you have some awesome soft-factors or PS or something?  If GW offered me something like this I would accept in less then a minute.

What are you going to do?

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2005, 02:22:46 PM »
I'm not 100% sure. There are a lot of schools I really like, but it's pretty tempting to stay in Utah and go to BYU on a full-tuition scholarship. Plus, the cost of living in provo is like in charlottesville. Practically nothing. But I really liked GWU when I was there last month to visit. More than Georgetown, actually. What direction are you leaning? Would it be hard to stay at UVA another 3 years? let me know

I had a pretty good personal statement and some killer LORs. I think one of the deciding factors in offering me a scholarship is that I've had 2 years Volunteer WE overseas, plus some great legal internships. but don't worry, you'll get your offer, too. I was just earlier in the cycle. I'd rather have your numbers than mine. Those 2 extra pts on the LSAT should make a bid diff. mail me sometime. I posted on your LSNumbers account

jimmyp

• 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2005, 07:23:57 AM »
I'm not 100% sure. There are a lot of schools I really like, but it's pretty tempting to stay in Utah and go to BYU on a full-tuition scholarship. Plus, the cost of living in provo is like in charlottesville. Practically nothing. But I really liked GWU when I was there last month to visit. More than Georgetown, actually. What direction are you leaning? Would it be hard to stay at UVA another 3 years? let me know

I had a pretty good personal statement and some killer LORs. I think one of the deciding factors in offering me a scholarship is that I've had 2 years Volunteer WE overseas, plus some great legal internships. but don't worry, you'll get your offer, too. I was just earlier in the cycle. I'd rather have your numbers than mine. Those 2 extra pts on the LSAT should make a bid diff. mail me sometime. I posted on your LSNumbers account

A full-tuition scholarship would be really hard to turn down.  I haven't visited any school yet, so I haven't formed any opinions yet.  I am not sure about UVA, I didn't really like it in undergrad but I think that was mostly an attitude problem on my part.  It just seemed that everyone there was upper-middle class or higher and everyone was REALLY into wearing all the latest trendy clothes and stuff.  The undergrad school was filled with not-so-smart kids from rich families, a bad combination.  I hear the law school is different but I haven't visited to verify that.  I would kind of like to go someplace else for law school (if I go at all) so that I can experience a different campus and location.

Did you go to BYU for undergrad and like it?

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2005, 08:40:33 AM »

A full-tuition scholarship would be really hard to turn down.  I haven't visited any school yet, so I haven't formed any opinions yet.  I am not sure about UVA, I didn't really like it in undergrad but I think that was mostly an attitude problem on my part.  It just seemed that everyone there was upper-middle class or higher and everyone was REALLY into wearing all the latest trendy clothes and stuff.  The undergrad school was filled with not-so-smart kids from rich families, a bad combination.  I hear the law school is different but I haven't visited to verify that.  I would kind of like to go someplace else for law school (if I go at all) so that I can experience a different campus and location.

Did you go to BYU for undergrad and like it?

I was out in charlottesville last month and loved it. I even sat in on a class and stuff. No one seemed "trendy," there were shirts and ties next to jeans and hoodies. I didn't go to BYU, I went to the public TTT 5 miles down the road (once again, a full-tuition scholarship and the ability to be at the top of the heap is hard to turn down :  )     Where do you want to go?      I'd like to stay here in the west, and with few exceptions, top 10% at BYU will open more doors than top 25 or 30% at UVA (or anywhere else in the east, with the exception of Harvard/yale). Stupid, and sucks, but true.

mreleph

• Say hello at GWU preview day.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrowrman
    • View Profile
    • Musings
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2005, 09:14:15 AM »
jimmyp wrote:

We have virtually the same numbers.  Did you have some awesome soft-factors or PS or something?  If GW offered me something like this I would accept in less then a minute.

And, lo, behold! Have you mailed your deposit, Jimmy?

EDIT: Fixed my spelling and punctuation, apologies.

jimmyp

• 3.57/176
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2005, 10:11:21 AM »
jimmyp wrote:

And, lo, behold? Have you mailed your deposi, Jimmy?

I now have one stocking foot.

At the time, it was true.  If GW had sent that to me the next day I would have sent in the deposit.  I have since received other comparable offers that need consideration.  Also, UCLA and W&L have propaganda'd me into believing that large classes are the root of all evil, something that turns me off to GW.

mreleph

• Say hello at GWU preview day.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mrowrman
    • View Profile
    • Musings
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2005, 11:17:54 AM »
Of course a small school is going to say small classes are better. :)

I have a feeling that large classes have merits too: You have chances to meet more people to study with and discuss with and network with, and grades are more fairly (normally, Gaussian) awarded.

UCLA == books on the beach, should be all they have to say! I wish I weren't afraid of moving cross-country.