Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there a reason why all these AA/racism posts have started around MLK day?  (Read 5457 times)

Runner-up

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - NShawcross
    • View Profile
I think the provocateurs and instigators actually stopped a while ago. It's just that all the p.c. people and AA apologists on this board have put up so many of their own threads of outrage and indignation, that it just seems like it was meant to happen on MLK day.

And, just in case you didn't get the message, I'm firmly against AA in theory and in practice.

an agent provocateur?

I will readily admit that I had a role in stoking the firestorm that has occurred. I took divisive, conservative positions, but I never started any anti-AA threads of my own.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Totally irrelevant but I just finished watching 2001 and good what an awful movie. I had always gotten bored with it and never managed to watch it all the way through before now. Jesus Christ who ever though it would be a good idea to fill a movie with 20 minutes scenes of a guy putting *&^% away and repairing odd looking equipment while the only sound to be heard is heavy breathing. Not to mention the long drawn out shots of what appear to be poorly put together model ships.

Now, if you really want to build some character, put yourself through Barry Lyndon, another Kubrick sleeping pill.  It's weird that a scifi film would be made so deliberately and blatantly boring.

Then again, I haven't been able to make myself watch Star Wars, The Matrix, or any of the LOTR (and I see many, many movies).

I may just have to do that. I have a special place in my heart for bad movies which most certainly includes much of star wars and the 2nd two matrix films. The LOTR movies were good however the books were about the most boring things I have ever read. I only finished them out of sheer force of will.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile

Speaking of bad movies I am watching species 2 at the moment. Hard to take a movie seriously that has the dad from everybody loves Raymond as some sort of serious character. TO say nothing of the horrible writing and haphazard plot.

Gummo

I think the provocateurs and instigators actually stopped a while ago. It's just that all the p.c. people and AA apologists on this board have put up so many of their own threads of outrage and indignation, that it just seems like it was meant to happen on MLK day.

And, just in case you didn't get the message, I'm firmly against AA in theory and in practice.

an agent provocateur?

I will readily admit that I had a role in stoking the firestorm that has occurred. I took divisive, conservative positions, but I never started any anti-AA threads of my own.

provocateur=secret agent

Gummo

Speaking of bad movies I am watching species 2 at the moment. Hard to take a movie seriously that has the dad from everybody loves Raymond as some sort of serious character. TO say nothing of the horrible writing and haphazard plot.

Haha, and Species III just came out a few weeks ago.

whiteytighty

• View Profile

an agent provocateur?

provocateur=secret agent

Incorrect: a secret agent is someone who may merely spy without actually doing anything more destructive.

an agent provocateur is someone who tries to stir things up, start a riot (in this case, a figurative riot - starting another thread on AA to see people get all worked up)

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Totally irrelevant but I just finished watching 2001 and good what an awful movie. I had always gotten bored with it and never managed to watch it all the way through before now. Jesus Christ who ever though it would be a good idea to fill a movie with 20 minutes scenes of a guy putting sh*t away and repairing odd looking equipment while the only sound to be heard is heavy breathing. Not to mention the long drawn out shots of what appear to be poorly put together model ships.

Now, if you really want to build some character, put yourself through Barry Lyndon, another Kubrick sleeping pill.  It's weird that a scifi film would be made so deliberately and blatantly boring.

Then again, I haven't been able to make myself watch Star Wars, The Matrix, or any of the LOTR (and I see many, many movies).

I may just have to do that. I have a special place in my heart for bad movies which most certainly includes much of star wars and the 2nd two matrix films. The LOTR movies were good however the books were about the most boring things I have ever read. I only finished them out of sheer force of will.

Oh it makes my heart sad to hear someone say bad things about LOTR. 

sorry...  :(, they are just so long. The overall story is good and the character development is good as well, it is just the endless pages of descriptions of orcs, or forests, or castles, or whatever. I know that some people love that stuff and I can respect that, but for me they just weren’t there.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Just wondering. I think its stupid to fight this on a day celebrating someone who helped end segregation. I will now step off my soap box for the next bleeding heart... ::)

It's your avatar's fault.  :P

Hey leave the Hippo out of it...he is an URM and has entertained many on this borad ;)

and is surprisingly nimble under water.

giffy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Mo
    • View Profile
Just wondering. I think its stupid to fight this on a day celebrating someone who helped end segregation. I will now step off my soap box for the next bleeding heart... ::)

It's your avatar's fault.  :P

Hey leave the Hippo out of it...he is an URM and has entertained many on this borad ;)

and is surprisingly nimble under water.

Homer: "Don't worry Lisa, Hippos can't stand water"