Law School Discussion

RC Help?

RC Help?
« on: January 17, 2005, 07:54:10 PM »
How do you improve reading comprehension? 

In the beginning, RC was my best section, with three wrong every time.  Have now improved my LR, to the point where I do better than RC.  Still struggling with my nemesis LG.  RC hasn't changed!  And don't know how to get past the plateau?

CaliToD.C.

Re: RC Help?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 08:50:25 PM »
RC was my toughest section as well. The best advice that worked for me was visualizing EVERYTHING you read and summarize after each paragragh. Practice this a lot so you can build speed. Also really try to pay attention to the authors tone all throughout the passage and pick up on any switch in in attidude.

A.J

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 03:06:51 PM »
I just did it.  I took three consecutive timed RC sections and cut my incorrect answers down by 3-4 (now missing 1-3).

I simply SLOWED down.  I started reading more carefully and underlined as I went, something I have never had the patience to do before.  Underlining (fairly heavily) helped me get everything thouroughly the first time through such that I only had to reference the passage once or twice for the entire section.

I am now spending up to 5 minutes on the passage alone without looking at the questions.  I am stunned at how well it is working so far.  I am stoked because this could boost my score 2 converted points. 

If you dont already do this, you may want to try it although I'd be happy if I were you.

hth

A.J

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 05:06:33 PM »
I am always moving forward and underlining.  I dont backskip becuase underlining forces me to really think about what is  being said.  For me it also has the effect of zeroxing the passage into my head. 

I've been amazed so far.  It doesnt seem to matter how difficult the passage is.  I catch the entire thing on the first time through.  The questions then tend to just flow becuase I completely understood and sythesized the passage.

Give it a shot.

I am not claming that this is a particularily hard passage.  I just wanted to give you an idea of what a passage looks like when I am through with it.  You might think this would make it difficult to go back if you needed to but it doesnt.  By the time you are done you should know the passage so well that a) you probably wont need to go back and b) if you do, the thing is so burned into your mind you know exactly where to go anyway.
http://img21.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img21&image=rc2bd.jpg

I take note of how long a passage takes me when I am practicing.  This one took between 4 and 5 minutes to read and a total of 7:45 to complete with 7 questions.

All I am claiming is that this works for me.

Good luck

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 06:56:10 PM »
lol, i am waaaaay too add to do rc like that.  my brain would explode if my passage looked like that.

but if you are having trouble with rc, you should try every possible method until you find one that works best for you.  rc seems to be the one section where there really is no right way to do it, everyone has his/her own personal method.

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 08:15:16 PM »
Indeed, slowing down can help alot in terms of improving on the RC section.  However, I would caution you not to slow down too much, particularly if you're only missing 1-3 questions in an entire section.  Find a pace that allows you to get through all of the passages comfortably with some time to spare.  If it hasn't happened already in your practice, you'll likely come across a passage (usually the third passage in a section) that seems like it's coming out from deep left field, a passage that will require a disproportionate amount of the allotted time.  Also, I found that slowing down too much actually caused my focus to drift.

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 10:29:46 AM »
If I wanted to be in say the high 90's percentile how many am I allowed wrong in each section?  I get the answers right on the practice tests but my time is killing me.

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 12:30:43 PM »
So let me get this straight... I am allowed three wrong answers per section (a total of 9 wrong) and still score in the high 90's?

InVinoVeritas

• Fine! I shall also fix zee hobo suit!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 12:48:49 PM »
So let me get this straight... I am allowed three wrong answers per section (a total of 9 wrong) and still score in the high 90's?

yes, generally speaking, getting 12 wrong on the entire test will get you a score somewhere in the high 160s, which is around the 97th percentile

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 01:01:21 PM »
I thought our writing sample didnít affect our score... But even if it does,  I'm still relieved. I thought to score high 90's I would only be allowed 3 mistakes total... 12 or even 9 is wonderful. Thank you so much! I can breathe much, much easier now.