Law School Discussion

Actually adressing the PS question

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
Actually adressing the PS question
« on: January 17, 2005, 05:15:05 PM »
Many schools have the generic PS question "Why do you want to study law" or something to that effect. Do we have to explicitly answer that question? My PS never really talks about why I want to study law, it more focuses on why I am qualified. Is it better to keep your aspirations to study law implicit, or should I come flat out with a statement "I want to study law because...etc"? (The latter just sounds odd to me...)

twarga

Re: Actually adressing the PS question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 05:20:25 PM »
Always answer the question.  Include your other ps if you want to (I attached a resume, a ps and an explanation for break in education), but be sure that you write a page or two on why you want to become a lawyer.  If not, the adcom will wonder why you didn't answer the question ("Can't this guy follow directions?").

gentoo

• Are you talkin' to me?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 05:29:38 PM »
Thanks Twarga. Here's another question regarding this issue...

How much of the PS should be devoted to answering the question of "wanting to study law"? I don't want to drone on and on about my reasons to pursue this field, I was thinking maybe a few sentences towards the conclusion and devoting the rest of the paper to talking about why I think I'm qualified. Would this be a safe bet on writing a PS?

twarga

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2005, 05:37:02 PM »
Yes.  As long as you include it near the beginning (a hint of what's to come in the intro, perhaps), so that the adcom knows early on in the paper that you are addressing the question, even if it's not until after you say why you're qualified.  IM me if you want me to look it over when you're done.