Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone submitted financial aid info yet?  (Read 1149 times)

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone submitted financial aid info yet?
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2005, 01:08:03 PM »
the part I hate is estimating 1040 form responses for 2005! I mean, what the hell? How do I estimate going from 2 incomes to none? what's the tax on the next half-year income? what are my 2005 summer expenses? it's insane. prepare yourself!
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut

maricutie

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2005, 02:59:47 PM »
When in doubt, go for the amount that will make you seem poorer.

TDPookie1

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • the sugar cane is back!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PookieEsq2B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2005, 04:06:34 PM »
When in doubt, go for the amount that will make you seem poorer.

this was my philosophy throughout the whole thing too.
i am officially the biggest nerd of LSD!  ::gleaming with pride, as i shine my yoda trophy::

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=TDPookie1

accepted at yale.  how the hell did i pull this one off?

Kait

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2005, 04:22:54 PM »
For those of you who know, can anyone give me a general overview of the financial aid process from beginning to end? I am very confused because I have never done this before.

This is what I know - I fill out the FAFSA and receive my SAR with my EFC. This is also sent to my schools. I also fill out the school-specific forms. Then, based on all this info, the schools determine financial aid packages by calculating the difference between the estimated budget and the EFC? Do most people get that calculated amount from the schools? Or do they get some from the schools, then try to get the rest in Stafford loans? Or is this the other way around?

Sorry - I'm really confused...any help would be great!

maricutie

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2005, 05:18:17 PM »
For those of you who know, can anyone give me a general overview of the financial aid process from beginning to end? I am very confused because I have never done this before.

This is what I know - I fill out the FAFSA and receive my SAR with my EFC. This is also sent to my schools. I also fill out the school-specific forms. Then, based on all this info, the schools determine financial aid packages by calculating the difference between the estimated budget and the EFC? Do most people get that calculated amount from the schools? Or do they get some from the schools, then try to get the rest in Stafford loans? Or is this the other way around?

Once you're done with your fafsa, you'll get an EFC. The offer that the school makes to you is going to = your student budget - any EFC they deem appropriate (for some schools, this depends on how long you've been declared an independent on your tax forms).

Student Budget (approx $50K) - EFC deemed appropriate = Offer

The thing is ... the "offer" can also be made up of student loans, subsidized or otherwise. The nice thing is that these tend to be loans offered by the school instead of, say Wells Fargo, so they wont kill you with the interest.

This was the way it kinda worked for undergrad, so I hope I'm not leading anyone around the wrong path.

AubZamZam

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2005, 05:47:40 PM »
Wait.... where do you have to estimate 1040 responses for 2005???  I think I totally missed that!

cutcut

• Sr. Citizen
  • I remember it as if it were a meal ago
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2005, 05:48:53 PM »
Wait.... where do you have to estimate 1040 responses for 2005???  I think I totally missed that!

need access. not the fafsa. it's a pain.
[insert clever quote here]
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=cutcut